4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 2:43 AM by Richard Carpenter

Client Tasks - Deploying Software (run Recurring or Once)

Hi, I have some software to deploy, like VirusScan 8.7, and AntiSpyware, etc.

Under Client Tasks, I have set it to run immediately to deploy these softwares to my clients.

However, I am aware of some users who may be on leave or have not turn on their PCs. Thus, the McAfee Agent may missed these machines.

What should I do so that these machines will be deployed with the Client Task that i set?

If I set the task to Recurring like once a week, will the ePO install the same software on a system over and over again ? Or is it intelligent enough to NOT deploy the software if the client already have it installed in its system?

• 1. Re: Client Tasks - Deploying Software (run Recurring or Once)

Another thing - Any idea what does the option "Run at Every Policy Enforcement (Windows Only)" mean?

Isn't it the similar to the setting of Running Recurring schedule?

• 2. Re: Client Tasks - Deploying Software (run Recurring or Once)
            JoeBidgood

weak_pig wrote:

Hi, I have some software to deploy, like VirusScan 8.7, and AntiSpyware, etc.

Under Client Tasks, I have set it to run immediately to deploy these softwares to my clients.

However, I am aware of some users who may be on leave or have not turn on their PCs. Thus, the McAfee Agent may missed these machines.

What should I do so that these machines will be deployed with the Client Task that i set?

The next time these machines communicate with ePO they will receive the new task and run it.One important point though: a Run Immediately task will only run once, even if it fails (the same as a Run Once task.) For this reason most people don't use Immediately or Once tasks for product deployment, unless they have them set to repeat.

If I set the task to Recurring like once a week, will the ePO install the same software on a system over and over again ? Or is it intelligent enough to NOT deploy the software if the client already have it installed in its system?

The task will run on a the schedule that you set, but it won't try and reinstall the software if it's already installed. Effectively the task will run, check the machine has the correct software installed, and if it does the task exits without doing anything.

Another thing - Any idea what does the option "Run at Every Policy Enforcement (Windows Only)" mean?

Isn't it the similar to the setting of Running Recurring schedule?

It's similar in that the task runs on a regular basis. This option makes the agent behave the way that the old ePO 2.x agents did, where software installation was done by policy rather than by tasks.

HTH -

Joe

• 3. Re: Client Tasks - Deploying Software (run Recurring or Once)

Thanks Joe, you're a big help!

• 4. Re: Client Tasks - Deploying Software (run Recurring or Once)
                Richard Carpenter

We have had the same probem with some machine not deploying the Agent not deploying and have opted to deply the Agent via other methods.

1)     We include the Agent as a Task sequence in WDS when deploying the Window environment over our Network.

2)     For devices which don't get imaged (servers) we deploy the agent using GPO as a manage software installation

3)     For MACs we use two methods, Run the script installation using ARD (Apple RemoteDesktop) and Munki, a google project for Mac management.

If you would like more details feel free to contact me if any of this meets any of your needs.

Rich