8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 4:44 PM by Peter M

McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing

well the title says it even norton internet security has alot of zero day protection as it got rated so high in the av test

i mean McAfee didnt pass the av test at all this year it seems to be getting worse

the questions is do you think that McAfee internet security 2011 next year will bring out behaviour based dection because at the moment McAfee only has artemis and that isnt enough? well i guess ill wait until next year but if it doesnt improve im going to change to Norton

also McAfee UI screen is terrible

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/11/10 6:50:39 CST AM
        • 1. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing
          Peter M

Moved this to SecurityCenter 10 - 2010 assuming that's the version you are using and not the 2009 one.  Which AV test?  There are so many.

To quote one of McAfee's staff community moderators in answer to an identical question:

The term Zero-Day Attack refers to new types of threats and malware that are released before any security software vendor is aware of them and has time to add detections and proactive protection. To protect you from a virus or other malware, your security software must recognize some piece of the code used to carry out the attack.

McAfee's Virus Research team is constantly updating its library of 'known' viruses and spyware.

At the core of McAfee software is something called 'heuristic' protection...which looks for suspect behavior by any program or file.

Even so, the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software.

It is for this reason that McAfee recommends multiple methods of protection to prevent Zero-Day attacks.

The research engineers at McAfee are doing their best  on researching the new variants of viruses & malwares and add them to our database.

By "multiple methods" he means keep your system and software up to date, surf wisely and keep some extra anti-malware tools handy & updated just in case.

Personally I keep Malwarebytes Free and SpywareBlaster but the choice is up to you.   There's a page HERE about just some of the many.

Also McAfee has a submission channel open for unknowns and other tools available if necessary.

You don't like the UI, well I guess it's a matter of opinion.   The developers try to strike a happy balance between ease of use and functionality and came up with this one.   It changes from year to year so who knows what 2011 will bring?  I haven't seen it so I can't say.   Should you wish to become a beta tester you can, although I should point out that next year's product isn't in public beta testing yet, it should be available sometime around the end of November, early December from what we have been told.

See: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

The 2011 products one sees advertised are simply the 2010 ones reboxed, a common industry-wide practice.   It's a subscription you purchase which naturally updates to the most current version as long as it continues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/11/10 7:51:35 CST AM
          • 4. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing

the test i meant are here http://www.av-test.org/

Message was edited by: slare on 11/21/10 12:28:57 AM CST
            • 5. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing

I found this interesting.A while back i had a problem with Mcshield & cpu.When i did a remote session with Aldrin I was told I should delete spywareblaster.He said he thought it may have been causing some of the problem.Since i totally agree with you as far as layered protection,plus the fact of constant evolving malware.I find it funny he would make me delete this program.Since this is not a antivirus scanner.have you noticed any difference in your computers resources ex-brit?I am not trying to create controversy.I am just trying to keep my system as safe as possible.

Thanks newjack

Message was edited by: newjack on 11/21/10 5:58:35 PM EST
              • 6. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing
                Peter M

I haven't seen any conflicts between them here.

• 7. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing

Thanks EX-brit, Is there a page of probrams that has been posted by Mcafee that i could look at?Something that may tell Mcafee costumers what programs can & do work well in conjunction with Mcafee.I am a big believer in layered protection.As i have seen here many times"no antivirus catches everything" I know malwarebytes is ok.Could we use something behavior based such as prevx or threatfire would you know.I would check myself,but i don`t believe Mcafee has published this info.                                    Thanks for the help,newjack

• 8. Re: McAfee internet security has no zero day protection - well it has one thing
                    Peter M

I'm afraid there isn't, just the page I put up.

You would just have to look via a Google search for people reporting on it and then make your own judgment.