6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 5:35 PM by pschmehl

VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue

Hi,

Can someone help me on this? We are now trying to deploy patch 4 of VSE 8.7 through ePO 4.5 to our client machines. To do this, I checked in the package VSE870P4.Zip and the two extensions into ePO and created a client task on My Organization level to deploy the patch. Some clients were updated successfully. However, there are about 1/3 of the machines didn't get updated. I checked the log file and found that the client machine did receive the task, but it seems that the updater just thinks the client machine already has the latest hotfix 4 and skip the installation process. All client machines are now running VSE 8.7 patch 3.

Below is the log file from a machine in question: 

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00:00   PM

Info

Scheduler

Scheduler: Invoking task [VSE   Patch4]...

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00:00   PM

Info

Scheduler

Next time(local) of task VSE Patch4:   Friday, November 19, 2010 12:00:00 PM

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00:16   PM

Info

Updater

Checking update packages from   repository ePOSA_VSH10001.

Info

Updater

Initializing update...

Info

Updater

Verifying catalog.z.

Info

Updater

Extracting catalog.z.

Info

Updater

Loading update configuration from:   catalog.xml

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:00:17   PM

Info

Updater

These updates will be applied if they   are in the repository: VIRUSCAN8700.

Info

Updater

Verifying VSE870Det.McS.

Info

Updater

Searching available updates for   McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.

Info

Updater

Product(s) running the latest HotFix   4.

Info

Updater

Update Finished

Info

Scheduler

The task VSE Patch4 is successful

Info

Scheduler

Scheduler: Task [VSE Patch4] is   finished

Appreciate your help in advance.

Cheers,

Endy Tang.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

assuming you've checked this machine and VirusScan did not have the patch 4 installed, then I advise you to refer to KB58966 and after performing what is in there check the McScript.log again for additional information that might explain why detection script thinks otherwise. It involves a little extra work, but its worthwhile.

Attila

• 2. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue
            Tristan

I had the same issue. luckily it was only with 3 machines out of 300.

EPO said patch 3, the computer said patch 3 yet the update agent insisted that patch 4 was installed. No amount of removing and re-installing agent or policy/task changes solved the problem.

The only solution i found was to manually install the patch on affected machines.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue
              pschmehl

I found a machine the other day that had this problem.  About on the machine said patch 2.  ePO said patch 2.  But the patch would never apply.  Looked in the registry under HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VIRUSSCAN8700 and the HotFixVersions Key had "4".  Changed that to "2", and the machine updated fine.

No idea why that key was lying.

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue
                Attila Polinger

A similar issue came to mind occurring during VSE patching on windows 2000 workstations. There, a certain registry key, named Pluginflag left unset after a faulty patch installation and that prevented any further installation of the patch. I do not say that this is the issue here, but this registry key could be worth checking and if it is not zero (0) then it might contribute.

The key is under HKLM\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\application Plugins\VIRUSCAN87000

In the cited issue above, manually running the patch revealed the fault via an error window that had caused the entire problem situation. I think we  had to reinstall virusscan with an embedded patch to resolve that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue

Thanks. You are right. The registry key is the issue. The HotFixVersions key on the machines was changed to 4. Just don't know why this happens. There are about 1300 machines have the same question, I really don't want to manually reinstall VSE with patch4 on all of those machines. I have opened up a SR ticket for McAfee support and hope they have a good way to fix this issue. Once again, thanks you all for helping on this.

• 6. Re: VSE 8.7 patch 4 deployment issue
                    pschmehl

One option is to correct the key on one machine, then export that key to a *.reg file.  Then you can fun the key on all machines through a login script or push it out through a GPO.  If you have machines that have successfully updated already, you could put some intelligence into the script to determine if they need to run the key or not, but all it would do is force another update of patch 4 if you didn't.