2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 9:13 PM by hafcanadian

Annoying alert window

hafcanadian

Every time I try to peruse products at Amazon.com, I get an alert pop-up window midscreen that says, "Security Warning.  The current webpage is trying to open a site in your Trusted sites list.  Do you want to allow this?"  The trusted site is res://ieframe.dll.

The real aggravation is that it pops up on each page I move or link to at Amazon.  And, worse, I have to hit the "Yes", "No", or the "X" button in the window 4 times before the window quits popping back up!  On each page I go to!  I've run into it occasionally at other sites besides Amazon as well.

I'm assuming the alert is coming from my McAfee Security Center, but I can't find a way to exempt Amazon from its alert parameters.  Is the warning not from McAfee?  Is there some way to stop the annoyance?

-hafcanadian

Message was edited by: hafcanadian on 11/17/10 8:05:04 PM CST

Message was edited by: hafcanadian on 11/17/10 8:06:38 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Annoying alert window
          Hayton

The message you get implies that you're using IE, in which case you can change the IE Security Settings to stop this happening :

Open Tools/Internet Options/Security/Trusted Sites to see the settings for those sites. Scroll down until you get to the Miscellaneous section, then scroll down some more until you find the setting that says 'Web sites in less privileged zones can navigate into this zone', and enable it. It sounds like you've got it set to 'Prompt'. The following link is to an old webpage, but it still applies :

http://www.stbernard.com/ip4kb/iPrism/Troubleshooting/Messages/InternetAccess/IP 0437.htm

The drawback is that this change will apply to all sites in your Trusted List. And I don't know why Amazon would want access to res://ieframe.dll anyway. There was a discussion about this (with fixes for the problem given) over on the CNET forums at

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-308030.html

I'll try the Amazon site myself later and see what I get. If there's anything annoying on the site I'll make sure to give it a disapproving site review.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Annoying alert window
            hafcanadian

Thanks.  The removal of the "Prompt" selection did the trick.  However I took the advice of the fellow, Grif, at the referred-to C-Net discussion, and selected "Disable" rather than "Enable".

When one gets several security applications on a computer, it can be difficult to tell which one is being problematic.  I couldn't remember which program used the yellow shield icon that was displayed on the warning window.  My mistake was presuming it was McAfee's.  I now recall the yellow shield appearing during Windows updates, perhaps Windows Defender or some such animal.

Thanks again.

Message was edited by: hafcanadian on 11/17/10 9:13:50 PM CST