5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2010 1:11 AM by Pritish

Email HTML formating being stripped

I am seeing an issue where incoming email is being stripped of its HTML formatting (i.e. it arrives as a plain text message instead) and was wondering if anyone else using the Total Protection service has seen this issue?

All of my clients use Outlook (2003 or 2007) and I have verified that the emails were sent in HTML format so somewhere along the line it is losing that formatting and arriving on the clients machine as a plain text message.  I have Microsoft technical support involved in investigating this as well and one of a couple possible causes they are looking at is my Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam service (McAfee).  So, that would be the client side Mcafee Virus/Spyware protection and the McAfee Email Protection service.  The details of the client side protection are below if anyone wants to know.

Basically, I need to rule out that any of the McAfee services are not involved in this issue.  Removing the McAfee client from an end user machine could rule that out, but I can't just turn-off the Email protection service as my entire organization would be flooded with spam.

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Email HTML formating being stripped
          Pritish

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please ley us know if you have any "Hosted Email Security Service" for your email.

Let us also know if you have alternatively, installed any "Email security Software" on your exchange server.

Please answer the above two questions so we can know more details and help you further.

Regards

Pritish P.

• 2. Re: Email HTML formating being stripped

The email service we use is Microsoft's hosted Excahnge Online service which does have a built in security/anti-spam service which I have no control over (i.e. you can't turn it off or modify its settings).  So, to answer your second question, I have no direct control over the Exchange server security setup or settings either.

This is a difficult problem to troubleshoot, so the only thing I am asking is has it ever been seen before with respect to the McAfee services I am using or are any current users of the same Total Protection Service seeing a similar problem.  If not, then I will focus my efforts in other areas.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3. Re: Email HTML formating being stripped
              Pritish

Hi,

I have read your reply.

We are sure that this issue could be related to the Microsoft Hosted Email security service. As McAfee Virus and Spyware protection will not cause any such issues that you are facing.

Please try to contact the Micorosft Hosted Email Security service department for more help.

Regards

Pritish P.

• 4. Re: Email HTML formating being stripped

Thanks for the reply.  I will talk further with Microsoft.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Email HTML formating being stripped
                  Pritish

Hi,

If you have further issues with your McAfee software please feel free to contact us. Thank you.

Regards

Pritish P.