5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 5:57 AM by Dinz

I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed

Hi!

Can somebody able to help me remove this program from Win XP Prof Hun version?

The program version 7.02.6000

I try to simple remove by Add/Removes but i get the error message --> The install doesn't success! 1721: error message display.

I try to remove by CCleaner doesn't help.

I try to remove by MCPR.exe doesn't help. of course i logged in administrator.

I try to contact with Live chat support but can't solved my problem!

Thx for help me.

Bye,

Joe007 from Hungary

Message was edited by: joe007 on 11/16/10 5:58:47 AM CST
        • 1. Re: I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed
          Peter M

I moved this from the business area to Home General Discussions.   Version 7 is pretty old, and if I recall correctly MCPR probably wont work to remove it.

What errors are you getting if any?   Are you trying to install a new product and it perhaps is failing because it detects McAfee?  Also is this XP SP3?

If the above isn't working try the registry cleanup method:

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK.

A page should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/-1--1/Regedit.jpg

If for some reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer (Computer in Vista/Windows 7).

Go  to File tab and click "Export" and send the registry to your desktop.  This is in case something goes wrong. It can then be rebuilt by simply  double-clicking that desktop item.

Now click the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and delete.

Hit your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.

If  one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You  have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and  right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

If all is successful that entry could not possibly remain and you can then delete the registry backup.

This has to be done when signed in as an Administrator by the way.

You may have to repeat it using "Network Associates" and/or "NAI" minus the "" - it can be a long process.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/11/10 8:32:44 CST AM
          • 2. Re: I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed
            Peter M

Joe, sorry I had to amend the above several times as it was a copy and paste from a really old post.  I suggest you redisplay it if you are signed in now as it may have changed in the meanwhile.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/11/10 6:32:42 CST AM
            • 3. Re: I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed

Hi!

1. So the os is XP Prof Hun SP2!
              2. Of course i try to install the McAfee Antivirus 30 day trial successfully and after now i uninstalled, but the McAfee Antivirus Home Ed is still exist in the Add/Remove programs!
              3. This probem is still on my customer pc not mine pc!
              4. I will try to check your registry description and after i will give the answer.

Bye,

Joe

Message was edited by: joe007 on 11/16/10 11:53:02 AM CST
              • 4. Re: I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed
                Peter M

OK, l;et me know how it goes.

• 5. Re: I can't able to uninstall my McAfee Virusscan Home ed
                  Dinz

Hey Joe,

Did you get the older version removed from the PC and install the newer one ????  Get back to us if you still have difficulties over the same . .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator