1 2 3 4 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 12:51 AM by Chilla

fake security alerts? help me!

i keep getting fake security allerts saying i have heaps of viruses! on this website: www1.clearscom.com/ (it comes up and looks like its genuine but its acauly a website, But i use vista and it all looks like windows xp)

it automaticly opens that website as soon as i open firefox?!?  McAfee hasnt said detected anything wrong and my internet has started to run slower then normal?! what do i do? :(((((

i cant emagine what it would be like if you were someone who didnt know much about computers, you would probibly download it and get heaps of viruses, god i hate theese people who make theese things.

Message was edited by: Chilla on 16/11/10 01:23:28 CST
        • 1. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
          Peacekeeper

This document from McAfee will help you in resolving your issue(s) Required  Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Please  be sure to run the McAfee Stinger scan included within the document. Report anything it finds via the submission link mentioned in the doc. If you have  no success in any of the recommendations in the document, you might consider  running the free version of this program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

by downloading this onto a usb stick on a non infected pc by renaming the  download and installation files to something you can easily remember as virus  and malware are written to self protect themselves. When you rename the files  you can usually get the program installed and after installation check for the  latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and  reboot the computer.

Let us know if this works for you and good  luck

• 2. Re: fake security alerts? help me!

I allredy have McAfee, that is why i came to this website, and you tell me to download more software? cant McAfee do it? i guess not, poor help from this forum one reply in a day with a serious problem, i now have to pay someone else to fix my computer due to McAfee being too stupid to realise something was wrong.

useless. i wont be buying McAfee again.

• 3. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
              Peacekeeper

All Av software are not 100% coverage. My suggestion usually works and is free.

The malware could be new Stinger on high senstivity could pick it up and you send it off and get back an extra dat that will remove it. Or if stinger does not detect anything  malwarebytes is a good backup.

Up to you I used the method on a new redirector trojan and it worked. The paid guy will use several other scanners why not try it yourself.

• 4. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
                Hayton

Hi, Chilla.

What's this website URL that you say you keep being redirected to? Can you confirm that it's exactly what you said it was?

• 5. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
                  Peter M

Chilla wrote:

I allredy have McAfee, that is why i came to this website, and you tell me to download more software? cant McAfee do it? i guess not, poor help from this forum one reply in a day with a serious problem, i now have to pay someone else to fix my computer due to McAfee being too stupid to realise something was wrong.

useless. i wont be buying McAfee again.

No protection or security software is going to protect you 100% so saying that is way off base.    Any security software provides good basic protection but the rest is up to you.

We are trying to help you with good advice so how you can say we are giving you poor help is beyond me.   There is no need to pay for malware removal.

I suggest you follow Peacekeeper's and Hayton's advice.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/11/10 5:48:45 CST AM
                  • 6. Re: fake security alerts? help me!

none of them found anything :/ its all coming from svchost.exe in sys32 folder. that thing is infected and i have scanned it yet it hasnt picked up anything. it keeps redirecting my web page to something else and its getting really annoying... is there any other way i could fix it? other then reloading windows? :/

• 7. Re: fake security alerts? help me!

ill try... ill edit this post when i get it again.. shouldnt be too long..

• 8. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
                        Hayton

Okay ... you got something coming up on your screen saying your PC had an infection? What did you do? Did you click on anything? If you did, what happened then?

And now your browser is being redirected? Which browser(s) are you using? Is it just Firefox? Ex_Brit is probably more expert in Firefox than I am, but I doubt if this would be only in one. Have tried any others?

What programs have you used to try to fix this? It would help if we knew, so that we don't recommend something that you've already tried.

You say you've traced it back to svchost.exe : what pointed you to that file? That's part of your operating system, so you may need to ask on the Microsoft forums for extra help to deal with it ...

Your apparent problem is a simple redirect, but we need to work out if your PC really has been infected with something. Let's take it one step at a time.

Oh and if you could confirm that URL, that would be a help - I could do some investigating.

• 9. Re: fake security alerts? help me!
                          Peacekeeper

Also confirm it is svchost not scvhost the latter is used to hide a virus. I also assume you mean system32 as no sys32 folder normally

M

on 21/11/10 8:04:35 AM
                          1 2 3 4 Previous Next