1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 12:31 PM by Dinz

Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Hi and thank you for your help.

PRINCIPLE PROBLEM: Automatic updates are not loading properly. Computer at risk!

The automatic updates is not working properly and the "notice" reads something to the effect of "Computer at risk". I've been through the support center and chat center but have been unable to resolve the problem. Attempts to create a chat session continue to abort and the "stock photo" of an apparant call center helper on the se

The McAfee Virtual Technician does not seem to operate.

I've completed registration fields and collected over 8 chat confirmation numbers in 10 days but have been unable to establish a chat session to assist. (Pop ups are set to allowed.)

• 1. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, please clarify the following:

1.    What is your Operating System (include service pack details as well)?

2.    How was the McAfee programs installed to the computer, through website or disk?

3.    What type of internet connection are you using? (cable, dsl….)

4.    What type of web browser are you using? (firefox, internet explorer…) if it’s internet explorer then what’s the version?

• 2. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Aldrin,

Many thanks for offering to help out.

1. Windows XP Home 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636 Service Pack 3.

2. Original McAfee product factory installed trial with Dell. Subsequent subscription installed by internet.

3. dsl

4. Internet explorer. 7.0.6000.17091

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Thanks for the information provided, please try the following and let me know the status.

• Open Internet Explorer> Click on Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Click on Reset> Click on Ok to close it
              • Click on Start> Run> Type Temp> Click Ok> try to delete all the temporary files over there and close the folder (you may have to ignore few due to access error)
              • Click on this Update Tool, run it, reboot the computer and try updating the McAfee programs
              • 4. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Hi Aldrin,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I reset Explorer and deleted over 5,000 temporary files as suggested.

I then attempted to apply the patch but the standard Explorer "Internet Explorer cannot disply the webpage" message come up. I have recently installed Firefox and I pasted the link on the URL field. The similar message came up.

Thanks again. Any further suggestions are welcome.

• 5. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Todd,

Please open McAfee Security Center> Click on Navigation on the right top> Click on About on the left panel> Please check the version details of the McAfee Programs and mention them over here.... Thanks

• 6. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Aldrin,

Many thanks for staying on the case. Information is attached below:

SecurityCenter

Version: 10.5

build 10.5.204

Affld: 105

English

9/30/2010

Virus Scan

Version: 14.5

Build: 14.5.113

Update: 10/22/2010

DAT version: 6144

DAT Creation: 10/22/2010

Firewall:
                    Version: 11.5

Build: 11.5.135

update: 9/16/2010

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Version: 3.2

Affld: 0

English

9/18/2010

AntiSpam

Version: 11.5

Build: 11.5.131

update: 10/22/2010

Content Version: 3682

update: 11/17/2010

Engine Version: 2.2.0.9149

Parental Controls:

Version: 12.5

Build: 12.5.111

Quickclean and shredder

Version: 10.5

Build: 10.5.108

• 7. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Thank you so much for the information. I would suggest you to click on the Useful Links on top of this page and contact our Technical Support Team who could be glad to assist you further on this issue.

• 8. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Hi Aldrin,

I've been to this site on several occasions and the chat session does not properly load. I get the standard, "Explorer cannot load this page" message. In addition, the virtual technician feature does not appear to load properly.

Please direct me to the appropriate McAfee access means so that I can receive free technical support.

My subsciption has considerable time remaining on the contract. Thank you for your help as I attempt to continue benefitting from the McAfee service.

• 9. Re: Automatic updates not loading. Computer at risk!

Alright, so we weren't able to connect with chat, run MVT or get updates for the McAfee programs !!! So now I guess there might be something seriously wrong with your internet connection.

Click on Start> Click Run> Type Drivers> Open etc folder> Open hosts file by using notepad, make sure the hosts file doesnt' not have any additional information added below 127.0.0.1 Local host (I have enclosed a screenshot of sample hosts file herewith)

host.JPG

Click on Start> Click Run> Type cmd> Type IPConfig /flushdns> Hit Enter. Open Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Connections> LAN Settings> if you find anything selected, uncheck them> Click ok to close it.

Reboot the computer and check the status, also if you are using a Wireless connection then try to connect the cable as hard wired and then check for updates

1 2 Previous Next