Is Win 7 totally up to date with all updates not just criticial ones?
Are you using by any chance a beta browser? This sort of thing has happened mostly when people install beta Internet Explorer versions, see THIS link.
If so ditch it immediately.
If that's not the case then I suggest contacting Technical Support Chat via Useful Links above.
I finally got MVT downloaded and run. It claims there are no problems
with the Firewall and the Site Advisor, but Virus Protection is not available.
When I click on Fix, it takes me to an advert for a McAfee Virus Scan product.
The output from the MVT scan claims I'm using IE 8.0, which may be factory installed
on my machine, but never used after I downloaded Firefox in Fall '09. This could be
the problem, since MSFT shamelessly updates everything. See attached file.
Perhaps I'll try to uninstall/remove IE and then download Security Center again.
What a PITA!
TIA for any/all input/ideas.
Contact Tecnical Support Chat free of charge through Useful Links above. They can link with your machine and troubleshoot.
Since I restored to 10/7/10 to try and recover a good McAfee install, I had to update
MSFT to current specs, which I did this a.m. 28 updates totalling approx. 115 MB.
Still no joy. Updated Firefox, after MSFT update completed.
Tried to run MVT again, but it would not.
Next time I get hi-speed access, I'll try the Chat link you suggest.
Thanks for your help.
System Restore will always throw any time reliant application into a turmoil. Have you tried uninstalling McAfee altogether and then running the MCPR removal too (see Useful Links above), rebooting and reinstalling?
Also blank SecurityCenter is usually caused by a beta browser, however you state you don't use one so make sure the one you have is at its defaults. Make sure that Java is also the latest version.
I ran into this problem as well, on two different systems. Interestingly, I had a couple of others that went through the upgrade to AV Plus just fine. I went through @#%@#$ fixing the first system, but the second one only took me about 15 minutes, and much of that was reboots
Here's what I did:
- Rebooted the system to get to a clean start
- Ran MCPR.EXE, available from the McAfee website
- Installed using DMSetup.exe. Sorry, I don't have a pointer to this, but found it after I logged into my McAfee account via web browser.
That's it! Sorry I don't have the links for MCPR and DMSetup, hopefully one of the McAfee folks on here can provide these.
Thanks for all of the help, guys. The problem was solved by Tech Support and all is well.
There were a couple of problems:
1) My dial-up connection was too slow, and downloading DMSetup.exe never completed, and so couldn't run
2) McAfeeTech Support installed a new(er) version of the Security Center, after running through the steps bls noted
The method bls documented is the same as my plan and which Tech Support used, but my dial-up connection caused
a time out on downloading of DMSetup.exe . I went to my wi-fi access location and Tech Support used Citrix to take
control of my machine. As I watched the McAfee tech guy work I could see that he was following the method I planned
to use, and which bls documented. It took about 45 minutes for Tech Support to get everything in order on the hi-speed
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Glad you are OK ;-)