I would also be interested in the best and most painless way to go about this upgrade as well. We are also on 2005 and need to go to 2008 in addition to upgrading the OS that the server is on from windows server 2003 to 2008 to take advantage of all the memory in the server as well. Current setup is DOG slow!!
Migrating ePO to new OS:
- Stop all epo services
- move database to new server
- restore database on new server and establish the proper security settings (e.g. user access)
- detach database on old sql server to be sure the new one is used
- start epo services
- on the local console of the epo server open https://eposervername:port/core/config/
- enter new database settings (name and credentials) and test connection
- restart epo services
Please refer to the steps documented in KB68427.
This article provides instructions that are useful for the following:
- Moving the ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) database from one SQL server to another SQL server.
- Moving the ePO database without moving the ePO server.
- Migrating the ePO database to a new SQL server, while keeping the same ePO server.
We upgraded our remote ePO database from 2005 to 2008 last week. I used this article http://https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68427 if you are ePO admin your steps will be step 1, step 6, step 7 and step 8 and the rest give to the database administrator.