7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 7:45 AM by Peter M

How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus

I'm having major trouble with Antivirus Plus and letting programs connect to the internet.

One of them is World of Warcraft which just released a system survey today and MacAfee has been identified as the source of a major issue. It blocks the survey and wont let people log in.

The fix is to disable macafee for a few minutes to do the survey then re-enable it but I can't figure out how to shut down macafee Antivirus plus which is profoundly disturbing. I kill it's proecess and it restarts to.

So simply, how do I shut it down for good? There seems to be no easy way to do this, I simply want to kill it for now and bring it back up at my leasure.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: karn987 on 11/10/10 9:50:26 AM CST
        • 1. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus

Anyone have any input on this?

I thought this was supposed to be the official forums with people who knew these products on them. Someone has to know how to shut down this program, this is a little rediculous.

• 2. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus
            Peter M

You shouldn't need to shut anything dow as there should have been prompts popping up asking for permission which you may have missed or ignored.

McAfee software is designed to know what needs doing automatically.

Check the WoW website and groups for hints on what needs to be done regarding firewall settings.

Never shut down protection for a minute except in major cases such as installing a service pack for instance, that's about the only time that I can think of where it helps.

It also would help us to know what version of home protection you have, 2009, square taskbar icon, or 2010/11, shield-shaped icon.

on 16/04/11 8:18:53 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus

Apparently the System Survey is something it tries to sneak in and MacAfee does not give you the pop up to allow it. Trust me, there is no pop up this time. You log in, it tries to perform the survey, and then it bounces you out because MacAfee won't let it do it's job.

It's the 2010 version.

There have been times in the past where I have head to shut down MacAfee's older products because they did the same thing. They would not show the allow/deny message and despite my fiddling, it refused to let me do what I need to do so I would bring it down. This was espeically an issue with many programs patching and update services. But this new version is really getting on my nerves because it hides the ability to shut it down and hijacks my firewall controls from me. I need MacAfee down for a few minutes and I need my Firewall control back in my hands.

So please, how do I shut down the program? That's all I need to know. I don't want to shut it down with a restart timer, I want to know how to close hte program untill either I start it again, or I reboot.

• 4. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus
                Peter M

OK now that I know the version that's easy.  They are different from those for the 2009 version, that's why I was asking.  I moved the topic accordingly.

I recommend that you at least enable Windows Firewall if possible.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long - Never in this case

For the Firewall, click Web and Email Protection, then Firewall

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long to stay that way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/10 8:19:24 EST AM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/10 8:24:07 EST AM
                • 5. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus
                  Peter M

I forgot to add that if this application will be modifying anything in the registry it may be necessary to turn off Access Protection too.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter as above.

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings and Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that drawer

Remove the check mark if not already removed by the above operations.

Click Apply.

• 6. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus

Thank you for the advice, I will enable the firewall as soon as I am able to.

Sorry for Posting in the wrong section, but since the program was called MacAfee Antivirus Plus and I did not see a coresponding forum, I posted in general.

Ill confirm this works when I am able (and hopefully remembered the right version).

Thank you again.

• 7. Re: How do you shut down MacAfee Antivirus Plus
                      Peter M

Don't apologise as many find it confusing...!!   Good luck.