2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 1:26 AM by nurmi

URL Reputation filter logging

Hi

I'm using McAfee Web Gateway 6.8.7

It seems that the reputation filter is logging in the /var/log/messages file.

Is there a way to make it log in to a dedicated file, posibly in the web gui.

I know that I can read the data from the messages file in to another file. But I think it is a bit foolish to spam the messages with the reputation filter logs.

Cheers

• 1. Re: URL Reputation filter logging
          Jon Scholten

Hello Nurmi!

This is actually controlled by a setting in the GUI, you can find this under URL Filter > Web Reputation, if this is set to "Block & Log Reputation" then it will log to the /var/log/messages.

Putting this to a dedicated log on 6.x isnt the easiest, but you can just log "rep_level" in the access log, and it will be available there.

Let me know if this helps!

~Jon

• 2. Re: URL Reputation filter logging

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

Basically I knew these options. I was just wondering if there were a way to get a dedicated file.

I might try the access log approach, although if it will log all the access events then the log will get huge very fast.

Actually the only reason I need the rep-logs is to weed out some of the false positives it is giving us.

And I can always grep and feed the events from the messages log.

Cheers