4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 10:36 PM by Jayadeep NR

Can't install software...Error 12029... a solution

My McAfee virus scan was acting up and wouldn't update itself. I tried forcing it and then eventually uninstalled to give it a fresh start. The next problem was that I couldn't install it back. I couldn't install the virtual technician. It kept complaining of a bad connection... and Error 12029. Odd, since my computer was working fine, except for McAfee. Since I had just bought an additional license, I saw that I could get 30 days phone support for free. I called in and agreed to let the tech take over my machine. She asked that I start Internet Explorer. But I use Firefox. She said, no deal. You have to use Internet Explorer for me to take over your machine. So I started IE, and it didn't work. It had some sort of bad connection. The tech said she couldn't help me and suggested I call the cable company to fix my IE. I upgraded to IE8, and it still didn't work.

So then the light came on. Apparently, McAfee uses the IE profile in some fashion for its connection. So if there is something wrong with IE, the McAfee software will misbehave. So I slogged though all of the preferences screens on IE8 and eventually found a misplaced check near Proxy settings. I fixed that, and IE would connect to Google. So then I downloaded McAfee successfully and installed successfully.

Moral of the story: McAfee uses the Internet Explorer Internet Options for its connectivity. If that isn't working, you will get an Error 12029 when you try to  download McAfee software or virus definitions. This is true whether you actually use IE or not.

Let me suggest to the McAfee tech support management that they pass this along to their agents so they can try to help clients get connectivity.

John

• 1. Re: Can't install software...Error 12029... a solution

Thanks for the information John. In general "Error 12029" is a network server time out error, as you said since Proxy settings was selected in your computer, it was unable to communicate with the McAfee server in order to update (or) download (or) even download MVT.

Any how, it's really great that you have fixed the issue on your own...

• 2. Can't install software...Error 12029... a solution

I created an account on this site for the express purpose of responding to this post.

Thank you, marsland.  Your post is not only spot-on, but it's also the ONLY post I've found to get McAfee working on my husband's laptop again.

Several weeks ago, he mentioned that his McAfee, which we use through our AT&T online account, had let him know that it had stopped updating and that it needed to be reinstalled.  At the same time, his Google Chrome browser also stopped connecting.

I didn't have time to uninstall/reinstall that day, so I ran a partial scan, it came back fine, life went on.

And then that laptop got hit by a virus that claimed to be McAfee and wanted us to take certain steps to "update".  Although we tried to avoid it, it infiltrated the computer, and McAfee, which was no longer updating, didn't stop this attack.

It took me more hours than I can count to get the computer past that attack.  Then, I tried to update McAfee; total no go.  Uninstalled.  Downloaded a new version, again, through AT&T.  Got the serial number, tried to install.  Error 12029, network issues.

I'm sorry to say, Aldrin, that although your 12029 may be a "network server time out error" in general, it wasn't in my case either.  Firefox, the primary browser used on this device, worked fine.  Still no Chrome, though, and definitely no McAfee.  After much searching, I finally found this thread.

Fired up IE, which, as I rule, I avoid like the plague.  No web pages would load.  Found that pesky proxy setting check mark.  Unchecked it.  Now, IE, Chrome and McAfee magically worked.  Actually, McAfee just finished reinstalling and I'm fixing to fire up the first full scan in weeks.

I have no idea how that check mark got there; we don't use IE.  Ever.  I'd say that maybe it was part of the virus, but I'd assume that didn't sneak in until McAfee was already disabled from updating, which was caused by the IE issue.  So I'm frustrated with IE, the virus AND McAfee.  Not being reliant on IE, which apparently has a sensitivity issue due to that proxy button, would be smart.  Firefox isn't, and that's why it kept working when other things didn't.

We're finally restored, but boy what a waste of time in getting there.

Mad props, kudos and thank yous to marsland for posting this solution!

• 3. Can't install software...Error 12029... a solution

Tatters, thanks for the props. I appreciate knowing that my trials helped you out.

ATTENTION MCAFEE: THE WORLD IS NOT 100% MS INTERNET EXPLORER. BY REQUIRING INTERNET EXPLORER TO BE CONFIGURED CORRECTLY IN ORDER TO GET MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS TO UPDATE CORRECTLY IS DUMB. AND TO DO THIS AND NOT TELL US IS REALLY DUMB. AND NOT TO TRAIN YOUR SUPPORT STAFF PROPERLY SO THAT THEY CAN HELP STEER USERS AROUND THIS PROBLEM IS JUST POOR BUSINESS. PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Kindest Regards,

John

• 4. Re: Can't install software...Error 12029... a solution
                Jayadeep NR

Hi Marsland,

You told it,though I don’t know why McAfee using Internet Explorer connection settings?When a virus infection attacks a system, the main target is always Internet Explorer. I used 4 Anti-Viruses and they have their own connection settings.The other problem is McAfee never update or install on a proxy connected computer. McAfee team, are you people serious? Please please please…I likeMcAfee in every aspects rather than depending on this Internet Explorer.