1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 3:23 PM by Peacekeeper

No idea what is causing this

- Several websites are not accessible

- When I am able to access some sites, I get a new IE or Firefox window that says I am infected and it attempts to download a file.  I click on No and close the window

- Several search engine links are pointing to sites that are more of affilate marketing

- McAfee scan doesnt pick up anything

- GetSusp doesnt show anything (already submitted log and they reviewed)

- When I try to download superantispyware, the link to download doesnt work

- When I try to download Malwarebytes, that link doesnt work

- I have run scan after scan, and no luck.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: No idea what is causing this
          Hayton

Sounds like malware, especially if it's blocking access to certain security-related websites. But there isn't much to go on at the moment. The techs will need something to enable them to identify which of several possibilities this is. Can you get through to the Microsoft website? If so, find the Windows Live OneCare part of the site

( http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm ) and either click on 'Protection' or select the Windows7/Vista option (assuming what you see on the page is what I see - I'm running XP). This will download their scanner, which will then run a full system scan. Maybe this will pick something up.

The problems you're having happen in IE and Firefox - have you tried using Google Chrome? Probably won't make much difference, but you never know.

And I keep seeing recommendations to run AV scans from Safe Mode, which might enable you to find the problem. On my box, I just have to keep tapping the F8 key on startup, and I get presented with a list of options. Try scanning from Safe Mode; and try also using the no-add-ons version of IE.

Somewhere along the line all of this should provide a clue as to what you've got. Then the tech experts can take over.

Edit : You can download Malwarebytes from CNET

( http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html )

also SuperAntiSpyware

( http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html )

- unless this site too is blocked.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 09/11/10 21:05:50 GMT
          • 2. Re: No idea what is causing this

XP Service Pack 3

Seems to have taken a little more control. When I start IE, it has switched my homepage to something from asia

Thanks.  I will check the Windows scan

• 3. Re: No idea what is causing this

Oh, forgot to add....

I was able to download those to another pc via an external drive, and then connect the drive to this PC.  Was even able to install.  However, the virus wont let me run the programs.

Even in Safe Mode I am unable to.  May require a backup of some data to the external, and then a restore from the beginning of time.  Hate to do it, but it may be needed

• 4. Re: No idea what is causing this

New update.

I attempted the Protection from from  Windows, and:

We're sorry. This version of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner doesn't work with your Web browser or operating system.

You  need Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000  Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista or  Windows 7. You also need either Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or MSN®  9.0 or higher.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The catch is that I am running:  Xp, Home Edition, Versoin 2002, Service Pack 3

• 5. Re: No idea what is causing this

One more update................

Needed to use IE to connect or install soemthing for Firefox to work.  So, I opened via IE

Scan is going right now

• 6. Re: No idea what is causing this

Scan found four viruses, and what it what it thought was a fifth. Was able to fix four, rebooted, and still having issues.

Since it found four, I am really wondering why McAfee didnt pick them up.  Actually, right about ow I am wondering why I am paying McAfee

• 7. Re: No idea what is causing this

Dont mean to come across wrong, but I feel asthough McAfee should have picked these up

• 8. Re: No idea what is causing this
                        Hayton

Apologies for being absent for a while. I've just caught up on where you are. Did the Microsoft scan say what it found? Then I can look it up in the McAfee database. And as for McAfee - it's generally acknowledged that no AV program is perfect, and sometimes you need a second opinion. If we know what McAfee missed, it might help the tech guys to tweak the system for next time.

(Edit) I meant to say, you've included a picture in one of your posts but I don't see anything except a square with a red cross in the top left corner.

What was it meant to be?

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/11/10 01:01:22 GMT
                        • 9. Re: No idea what is causing this

I agree.  No program or process is 100%. Wish I had the information available, but I finally gave in, backed up some data to an external, and did a hard restore.

Thanks for your help.  I very much appreciated that you replied\

Rick

1 2 Previous Next