1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2010 11:56 AM by thecreator RSS

No internet connection

Hello,

For about 2 weeks I have been without wireless internet connection on my pc laptop. I keep receiving the error message, “This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources”. When I try to repair the connection, I receive the message, “Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address”. I tried having Comcast reset the connection but that didn’t work (also worth noting – every other computer in the house can access the Internet using the network with no problem).  I also tried plugging the Ethernet cord directly into the laptop and that didn’t work. I had been using this network for months but when I returned home from a trip in which I was plugged into a different network, I haven’t been able to use my normal network. Also, worth noting is that I am able to use the wireless signal at the local Starbucks. I did some research and think it may have to do with my firewall settings but I have not been able to fix the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jon

• 1. Re: No internet connection
          Peacekeeper

I suppose disable the firewall and see if that fixes things. Do you know the IP of the PC if so see that it is allowed in  Web and email protection/firewall/connections.

That is the first thought .

• 2. Re: No internet connection

Thank you for your response. I tried disabling the firewall but that didn't work. However, I am not sure if I did it correctly. I right clicked on the wireless signal icon in the lower right hand corner of my screen, selected "Change Windows Firewall Settings" and selected "off". I then restarted my computer (not sure if that matters) and I still am getting the same "Limited or no connectivity" message.

I do have my IP address, how do I see if the IP of the PC is allowed in Web and email protection/firewall/connections?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: No internet connection

In addition to that, try the below steps as well and let us know the status:

1. Click Start> Run> Type Services.msc> Click OK> Look for DNS Client> Make sure its Started and set as Automatic> If NO then right click on it Select Properties> Change the Startup Type to Automatic and Click on Start and close it

2. Click Start> Run> Type CMD> Enter> Type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS> Hit Enter> Click on OK

3. Type IPCONFIG /RELEASE> Hit Enter

4. Type IPCONFIG /RENEW> Hit Enter

5. Type ping www.google.com - check whether you get a response

• 4. Re: No internet connection
                Peacekeeper

The firewall disabling was open Mcafee security centre and choose web and email protection and firewall and turn off.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/11/10 5:07:27 PM
                • 5. Re: No internet connection
                  thecreator

Hi Jon,

Do a Factory Reset on the Router, then restore the settings you had. It is possible to have Internet from your Wired Computer, while no Internet Connection, wirelessly from the Router.

That is not the fault of the McAfee Firewall. However, it does block parts of the Home Network between computers and Router.

• 6. Re: No internet connection

Aldrin,

Thank you for your response. I checked DNS Client and the status is Started and the Startup Type is Automatic. When I did the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew I received the following message - "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

• 7. Re: No internet connection

Try this out and let me know the outcome;

Click Start> Run> Type Services.msc> Click OK> Look for DHCP Client> Make sure its Started and set as Automatic> If NO then right click on it Select Properties> Change the Startup Type to Automatic and Click on Start and close it

• 8. Re: No internet connection
                        Peacekeeper

Jon as your laptop worked at starbucks was the firewall active. If so the issue would point to not Mcafee but as thecreator suggested your router. Try what he suggested as well.

• 9. Re: No internet connection
                          thecreator

jstacy wrote:

Aldrin,

Thank you for your response. I checked DNS Client and the status is Started and the Startup Type is Automatic. When I did the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew I received the following message - "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected. An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection, when you don't have the Router connected to the Laptop using an Ethernet Cable.

An error will occur if you aren't connected to your own Wireless Router.

Have you customized your Router to give your Router's Wireless Network Name, also called SSID, a name different from the Default Name, to allow you to find your Home Network with ease?

No operation can be performed on a Bluetooth Network Connection, if the device isn't plugged into your Laptop.

Are you using Windows to control your Wireless Adapter or using its Wireless Network Manager?

What is the Brand Name, Model Number and Hardware Revision of your Home Network's Router?

Message was edited by: thecreator on 11/11/10 12:26:05 PM GMT-05:00
                          1 2 Previous Next