8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 5:05 AM by Attila Polinger

Lost/Found Container

I have a laptop that keeps showing up in the Lost/Found container. Its in its right OU in Active Directory and in McAfee but keeps popping up in Lost/Found. So there is an entry for in its correct OU and in the Lost/Found container. Everytime I delete the entry in the Lost/Found container, a minute or two later its right back in there. Need some help on this one.

- Mike

• 1. Re: Lost/Found Container
          rphillips

I have had this happen in our enviroment a few times and in every occasion its the naming convention that were the same on both machines but with 2 different users. Check the user name on the machines and make sure there the same, or check to see if there different. Not saying this is deff it but its somewhere to start.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lost/Found Container
            JoeBidgood

Generally speaking this is because ePO can't match the entry in the system tree with the machine in question, so it puts it in Lost & Found.

Next time it appears, delete the *other* entry, and move the entry from Lost&Found to where you want it to be. It should stay put after that

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lost/Found Container

What I did was delete both entries in both containers. After i did a synch, only one entry came showed up in its right OU. Thanks for your help.

- Mike

• 4. Re: Lost/Found Container
                Attila Polinger

Hi Joe,

although loosely related to the question here I'd like to ask for a clarification regarding the L&F group. I read somewhere that during the placement of a node, ePO uses the L&F group as an intermediate container.

Now we found that this container get full of empty groups sooner or later (there are some non-empty groups with real nodes that really could be placed in the tree, but these are rare).

Sometimes we have to run through L&F and purge all the empty groups (10-20), which takes several clicks per group (to see if its empty then change to the Group tab and delete it, confirmation, etc.). Its nothing to whine about, really, but regarding the operating potential of ePO leaving empty groups in L&F looks like a nuisance.

Is not really there a way to get rid of these empty containers/groups automatically (for example by a server task, or even not getting them created during the node placement/sorting process) ?

Thank you for answering in advance.

Attila

• 5. Re: Lost/Found Container
                  JoeBidgood

apoling wrote:

Hi Joe,

although loosely related to the question here I'd like to ask for a clarification regarding the L&F group. I read somewhere that during the placement of a node, ePO uses the L&F group as an intermediate container.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. The initial placement of a machine in the tree is done in memory, as it were - i.e. ePO works out where the machine should go and creates a DB entry in that exact location.

Ideally you'd want to identify why these machines are appearing in L&F, and adjust your placement rules so that they don't any more

I don't think there's a way to block-remove lots of groups from under L&F - sorry

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Lost/Found Container
                    Attila Polinger

Thank you for the information.

However, it's just weird, since I recently fixed (some weeks ago) the IP sorting problems completely, so if I do - now - a Check IP conflicts then ePO says I have no IP conflicts. Yet, there are lots of empty groups under the L&F, just now 23, and three of them has some (not many) computers (which is okay, they have no assigned IPs on any groups), but what about the empty ones? Somehow they must have got created, but why?

I firmly remember having deleted all the empty groups when I finished fixing the IP conflicts. Or rather, I deleted all of them from L&F knowing that what must will reappear with nodes anyway.

Attila

• 7. Re: Lost/Found Container
                      JoeBidgood

I'll bet this is going to be down to the sorting criteria... for example imagine you have a single group with an ip-based sorting criterion: anything in 192.168.1.0/24 gets sorted into the group.

A machine connects with an IP address of 192.168.10.1: ePO can't find a matching group so it places it in L&F.

The machine then gets given 192.168.1.1, and updates its properties. You have a server task that resorts the tree: this now moves the machine to the "correct" location, leaving the empty group under L&F.

Unfortunately only you know your sorting rules - you'll need to identify why machines are failing to be correctly sorted to have any chance of getting to the bottom of this

HTH -

Joe

• 8. Re: Lost/Found Container
                        Attila Polinger

Thank you for the information.

Really, as I was checking groups under L&F and machines therein, I saw that the IPs were either VPN or unregistered IPs with any group.

Now I am afraid to write it here  :-) for fear you might confute me on this, but I also read somewhere (funnily I unfortunately cannot remember where, sometimes I just pick up information without noticing where it came from) that McAfee Agent 4.5 is able to regenerate its GUID once getting told so.

Now  the truth about this last piece of info is that I'd need now, regarding that we are in the process of upgradeing our Mcafee Agent to v4.5, if this regeneration is true or not, and is it automatic (i.e instead of rejection, ePO server instructs the client to do so) or by other means done and if yes, how.

I expect that some of the VPN client problems could be avoided thereby.

Attila

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 11/12/10 12:05:48 PM CET