4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 4:44 AM by kenno1

Help to remove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please

Have a laptop with 2 users - 1 Administrator and 1 Standard user. When the Standard user logs in the first screen that comes up is "System Critical Warning" that is part of an "AntiVirus Studio 2010" window (see attached). You are prompted to "click here" to get the License Key.

When the Administrator logs in, everything looks okay.

McAfee Internet Security is installed and is up to date and it says the computer is secure and no action is required.

We have rung the stinger and it has not helped.

Is anyone able to help with what we can do to renove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please.  

many thanks

• 1. Re: Help to remove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please
          Hayton

This is known scareware. Naturally, you should under no circumstances be persuaded to throw away your money on this fake program.

McAfee know about this and there is a description of it in the threat database at

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_292637.htm

where it is called 'FakeAlert-PK.a!DF8F047A6943'. The information there says that running a full system scan should fix it, so try that first.

If that doesn't work, there are several articles on how to get rid of it. If you are fully confident that you can do it yourself, try

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-studio-2010.html

Otherwise, go to this article from bleepingcomputer.com :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-studio-2010

which will in any case refer you to this one from Malwarebytes :

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=64337

which should fix your problem.

(Edit) - your laptop has two accounts and this only happens in the User account, not the Administrator account. Well, that's good because any damage from malware is limited in scope to files in a restricted-privileges account. Try running any fixes from the Administrator account first; if the problem persists you may need to increase temporarily the User Account privileges to Administrator-level in order to run Malwarebytes in the User account. That shouldn't be necessary, but if you do have to do that remember to reset the privileges afterwards.

Let us know how you get on.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 08/11/10 14:42:16 GMT
          • 2. Re: Help to remove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please

Thanks Hayton, will work through later tonight and see how it goes.

How do I know whether sites are genuine or whether following their suggestions will actually load/activate other viruses and even make things worse? Or do you just have to be an expert!

Before I did this post I searched on the internet and found quite a few suggestions, however was concerned about their authenticity.

many thanks!

• 3. Re: Help to remove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please
              Hayton

kenno1 wrote:

<snip>

How do I know whether sites are genuine or whether following their suggestions will actually load/activate other viruses and even make things worse? Or do you just have to be an expert!

Before I did this post I searched on the internet and found quite a few suggestions, however was concerned about their authenticity.

I know what you mean. The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can give you information overload. Knowing which sites to trust isn't easy. Some are only interested in pushing their own (free perhaps, but often not) fix-it program, regardless of whether it's the right one for a particular problem. Some offer (paid-for) assistance. Some are staffed by volunteer helpers who will genuinely try to find a solution to the problem; some of those helpers are extremely experienced and knowledgeable.

Picking the good from the not-so-good is a matter of experience (or in my case, paying attention to what the more experienced volunteers and moderators here have to say). I'm usually cautious in recommending sites, I know three or four are good and some others *may* be good. I'm still building up my own list of preferred sites and programs.

If ever you're stuck and want to find out if a particular program is genuine, Google for "<productname>  McAfee" and "productname>  Malwarebytes" and see what comes up. If it's a rogue program there will almost certainly be mention of it on the forums here and over at Malwarebytes, and often a description of the program and/or how to fix it.

• 4. Re: Help to remove AntiVirus Studio 2010 please

Followed your instructions Hayton, downloaded and ran the Malwarebytes program and know all seems fine.

thanks again for your help

cheers