5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 9:45 AM by Aldrin

McUpdate.exe question

Hi All,

Just came into find my pc needed restarting after Mcafee update.

I had a couple of issues, as Malware Bytes decided to start itself again after Mcafee tech told me to disable it after problems two months ago.

Anyway, long story short.

I checked my start up and in there is:

mcupdate_1232919115 but its im my Temp / Locals folder, which I find weird.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal?

• 1. Re: McUpdate.exe question

Hi Spency,

Kindly clarify the following:

1. What is the Operating System that you are using?

2. How was the McAfee programs installed in your computer?

3. Were you getting updates regularly?

4. What is the current DAT version of McAfee VirusScan in your computer? - to check that Open Security Center> Click on Navigation on the right top> Click on About on the left panel

• 2. Re: McUpdate.exe question

Hi Aldrin,

Thanks for your reply:

1. What is the Operating System that you are using? - XP - Full Packs Up To Date

2. How was the McAfee programs installed in your computer? - Via CD / Boxed Product

3. Were you getting updates regularly? - Yes everyday

4. What is the current DAT version of McAfee VirusScan in your computer? - to check that Open Security Center> Click on Navigation on the right top> Click on About on the left panel - 6157.00 Updated last night, which was when Mcafee asked to restart this morning.

• 3. Re: McUpdate.exe question

Thanks for the information Spency, it's just the temporary files of the McAfee Update that's put in your computer. Did you try to delete those files after restarting your computer?

• 4. Re: McUpdate.exe question

Hi Aldrin,

Cheers mate.

No, I only noticed it in my startup this morning, after Mcafee needed to reboot.

The reason I ask is 2 months I had massive issues, I paid for Malware Bytes but after a Mcafee update my computer had a fit, and I was told by your tech guys that the two programmes can no longer run together, so I turned off the real time protection on MWBytes and all was ok.

Yet, after the update of Mcafee this morning, MWBytes was running again on start up, hence I had a look into what was starting and removed it from start up.

The PC is clean, I just wanted to make sure all was ok.

I guess my question is, can I stop this file from starting on start up or should I just leave it if causing no issues?

Ian

• 5. Re: McUpdate.exe question

Spency - I would always recommend you to disable the other security program. As the McAfee tech told you, running multiple security software in a computer would definitely cause performance and even protection issues.