1 2 3 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 4:33 PM by exbrit Branched to a new discussion.

How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

vascoadao

Hello to all comunity members from a totally new member. First thanks for your help and forgive me any mistakes but English isn't my first language:

I'm running McAfee Virus Scan 14.5 under Windows Vista 32 bits. The program detected a DLL file infected with a Trojan and put it into the "Quarantined items area". I want to move it to the "Trusted items area" and stop Virus Scan moving this DLL everytime I reinstall it.

But I can't find a way to do it

When I highlight the item, the only options I have are 4 buttons labeled "Select All" "Send to McaAfee" "Restore" "Delete" (I don't know if those are the correct English labels, I'm translating from my Portuguese version).

Can you help me please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

Could you please provide us the details of the dll file and it's program that's been quarantined as Trojan

• 2. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
            vascoadao

What kind of details do you need/want?

And do I need do adjust the actions to do what I want depending from those details? I mean if I have a XXX.DLL file with size "X" KB the way to move it to trusted items is different from a YYY.DLL file with "Y" KB?

And if that DLL it is used by different programs?

One more curious (from my point of view) thing, only the DLL is detected no program it is moved to quarantine.

• 3. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

Vasco – I understand your concern, but the reason for me to ask you about the DLL file & the program details is to identify whether it’s really an infected one or false detection

• 4. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
                vascoadao

but what kind of details you need? name and size? At least name I know it can be easily changed, so I think its not a helpfull detail.

And lets assume I "know" is a false positive (from for example other Anti-Virus programs or an on-line scan). How I tell Mcafee to ignore that specific DLL?

McAfee reports trojan horse name as "Generic.dx!lbc"

• 5. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

Please provide us the following information:

1. What is the program name that contains this DLL file?

2. What is the location of this DLL file?

3. Since when this started happening?

4. How was that program installed to your computer, was that from disk or online installation?

• 6. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
                    vascoadao

Please tell me there is a way to reply to my question?

1. What is the program name that contains this DLL file?

Lets assume it is "ADBA"

2. What is the location of this DLL file?

Lets assume it is located "C:\ADBA"

3. Since when this started happening?

During installation

4. How was that program installed to your computer, was that from disk or online installation?

I downloaded the program, burn and installed it from a DVD

Message was edited by: Vasco Adão on 11/6/10 12:45:04 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?

Vasco – sorry for the misunderstanding, the reason for me to ask more details about the program is - there are many programs online which can be downloaded and it may contain hidden infections (or) suspicious codings. If you could provide me the exact name of the program, I shall try to download the same in my test machine to find whether it's really an infection (or) false detection

• 8. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
                        vascoadao

Aldrin, I want to say thank you for the time you are spending with this question and for being patient with me. Don't see me as ungratefull, first crying for help and then refusing to give helping details.

But I don't want to give more details, because I think if there is a risk I don't mind to take it.

Imagine I have only 3 pieces of software... Vista Operating System with IE, McAfee VirusScan 14.5 and the ABCD program.

Thank you again.

• 9. Re: How to move a item from quarantine to trusted item?
                          Hayton

Vasco, Aldrin, I hope you don't mind me joining this discussion ...

The original question was, can I remove a file from quarantine? The answer is, yes. The topic is dealt with in the Help section here. Vasco seems unwilling to divulge details of the file, for whatever reason, but if the file is a suspected Trojan perhaps he should use the 'Send to McAfee' button to have it tested. Certainly, I myself would not restore a file that contained a suspected Trojan, but his question was, 'can I do this?'  Yes, Vasco, you can, but Aldrin is absolutely right, you should not do it until the file has been examined by McAfee to see if it is infected. If it is, you risk infecting your PC with something that will cause trouble, and then you will have to find a way to undo the damage.

1 2 3 Previous Next