3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2011 3:35 PM by ss-rasputin

How to change the default location of the vaults

Hi,

I think Anti-Theft it's great software. I've installed it on XP Pro and it works very well.

But it seems that the folders, the vaults, once created are physically on the C drive, even if it works like a  virtual disk.

After some tests, it's clear for me that the real physic location of my vaults are somewhere on C:\Documents and Settings\User\...

What I want to know it's how to change this location. I don't want to have my vaults on my C drive because of security issues (if the system fall down and I need to reinstall Windows, all the data in vaults will be erased) and disk capacity issues (I don't want to add too much things on my limited C drive).

Please tell me how to change this default location so I'll able to specify another drive (or another hard disk) where to save my vaults.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: How to change the default location of the vaults
          Dinz

Hi there,

By default the vault files are stored in the locations below: For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee Anti-Theft .

Yes,you can back up your personal Vaults. As with any important data, McAfee recommends that you back up your Personal Vaults regularly.Any program that can back up your home folder will also back up your Personal Vault files.

Please follow the below steps for the same.

Step 1 - Change Windows Folder Options to show hidden files

Windows XP:

Double-click My Computer
          Click Tools and select Folder Options.
          Select the View tab.
          Under Advanced Settings, uncheck the box beside Hide protected operating system files.
          Click OK.

Step 2 - Locate the Personal Vault

Click the Start / Windows Orb Button.
          In the Run / Search field, copy and paste the path below for your operating system and press ENTER:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee Anti-Theft.

A Window should open that contains the vault files for the user who is logged in.

Step 3 - Back up your Vault Files

To backup your Vault file, perform one of the actions below:
          Copy the files to another folder
          Copy the files to another drive
          Copy the files to optical storage
          Use the path to set up monitored files for a backup application.

NOTE: After you have located the Vault files and backed up the data, McAfee recommends that you re-enabled the Hide protected operating system files option.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Comunity Moderator

• 2. Re: How to change the default location of the vaults

Hi Dinz,

Thanks for your answer. Thanks to you, I know how to save the date in my vaults.

But my main point is " how can i change my default location". Is it possible with Anti-theft ? If yes, how can I do it.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Phuong

• 3. Re: How to change the default location of the vaults

You can use the command line "junction" tool from Microsoft Technet. Move the folder containing the vaults to your desired location and create a junction pointing to the new location. Hope this helps.