7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 8:35 AM by Aldrin

Unable to update?

I can connect to the internet, ran V tech today and chat with Mcafee. But no update for scan engine, reads no internet connection ?

V tech could not update database.

I am fighting virus attack.

System XP pro sp3 Internet Explorer ver 8

• 1. Re: Unable to update?

Could you please tell me about version of McAfee and its DAT file version?

Whether you are getting any error message when trying to update? if so , what is the exact error message?

Make sure, you have proper internet connection.

Click on Start-->Run Type "cmd" and hit enter.

At command prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes and hit enter.

At command prompt type "ping download.mcafee.com" without quotes and hit enter.

Check whether you are getting valid reply.

Reset your Internet Explorer Settings once and try updating it.

To Reset the IE:

Click on Start -->Run Type "inetcpl.cpl" and hit enter.

At the Internet Explorer properties window , Click on Advanced Tab at the top and click on Reset at the Bottom.

Thanks & Regards,

Raja Gopalan.S

• 2. Re: Unable to update?

Internet Security 2010, Dat ver 6149

Green check beside checking for updates.

Then updating starts and stops.

Mcafee cannot update software. Please check internet connection. If the problem continues , please contcat Technical Support.

I have problems with cable service at present. According to service tech I should have an inbound and outbound signal on cable; I have no out bound or return.

This may be most of my problem.

Thanks

Internet appears to be working OK now, pinged download.mcafee.com.

Reply from 24.143.193.43:bytes=32 time=184ms, 181ms, 71ms and 156 ms  Average time = 148ms

TTL=57

Packets sent =4, received=4, Lost =0(0%)

Reset IE, did not restart computer. Mcafee still does the same thing. Says check internet connection.

I opened Malwarebytes and updated it with no problem. Started quick scan with Malwarebytes.

I dont understand how I can run virtual technian from Mcafee web site but can not update?

Dat file now 6149 trying to download 6155 but can not update.

All health check details show OK but Dat and engine not up to date.

Message was edited by: 2xline on 11/2/10 6:38:38 AM CDT

Message was edited by: 2xline on 11/2/10 7:47:39 PM CDT

Message was edited by: 2xline on 11/2/10 8:01:42 PM CDT

on 11/2/10 8:03:08 PM CDT

on 11/2/10 8:22:13 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: Unable to update?

Try uninstalling Internet Explorer 8.0 from the  Control Panel> Add Rem Programs so that it would automatically put back the previous version of Internet Explorer to the computer. Reboot the computer and check whether that helps you...

• 4. Re: Unable to update?

Could Mcafee updater be blocked by firewall? Mcafee or windows?

I have been attacked by several virus; removed most I guess. Something is preventing Mcafee  from connecting to net.

• 5. Re: Unable to update?

Yes, Malware has an ability to disconnect computers in connecting to any security websites. I would recommend you to click on the Useful Links on top of this page and contact our technical support chat team for further assistance

• 6. Re: Unable to update?

What about uninstall Mcafee and reinstall?

• 7. Re: Unable to update?

No that's not a better idea. As I said, since the computer is infected you may have trouble in reinstalling them back either, so first the have the computer cleaned and make them virus free then everything should be running fine