6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 4:20 AM by sgrimmel

MID v8.7 Repost 1

rmetzger

Download with Valid Grant Number

Quote from the Repost 1 documentation:

[quote]

About this release

This release was developed for use with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i.

• Release Date: 10-28-2010
      • Version: 3.2.0

Improvements

This release of the software includes the following improvements.

1. McAfee Installation Designer can now be deployed to Windows 7 operating systems.

Known issues

1. Issue: McAfee Installation Designer is not supported on any 64-bit operating systems.

3. Issue: If you create a VirusScan Enterprise installation package with an invalid .msp patch, the installation package file (Setup.exe) fails.      
        Workaround:Until McAfee Installation Designer has the ability to verify the validity of patches, be sure that all .msp patches included in an installation package are valid.

5. Issue: If you create an installation package for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i, be sure the source version is 8.7 and not an earlier one. If you select 8.5 for the source by mistake, an alert message tells you there is a  version mismatch. However, correcting the mistake does not remove the  block on the configuration settings that the mismatch imposes, and you  cannot continue. If this occurs, discard this package and create a new  one.

7. Issue: The error IDS_MID_CONFIG_FAILED (0006) might be logged to the Application Event log when installing a VirusScan package that has been modified by McAfee Installation Designer. The error occurs if a registry key is not yet created when the custom settings are applied. Up to four attempts are made to apply the settings, where each failure results in another Event log entry. Less than four log entries means the settings were successfully applied.

9. Issue: Due to changes made to the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3 MSI, VirsuScan Enterprise 8.7 Patches cannot install with McAfee Installation Designer without an additional configuration step. For instructions on adding a patch to a custom installation package, see McAfee Installation Designer patch configuration under Installation instructions.

Resolved issues

1. Issue: VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Repost Patch 4 packages created with McAfee Installation Designer fail to deploy to systems. (Reference: 624017)

2. Resolution: McAfee Installation Designer now recognizes the new naming scheme for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i extensions, both VIRUSCAN8700(xxx).zip and VIRUSCANREPORTS(xxx).zip which caused errors in the deployment scrip

Documentation

Documentation is included on the product CD and/or is available with a valid grant number from the McAfee download site:

System requirements

Browser:
      • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later
      Free Disk Space:
      • 15 MB — To perform a complete installation of McAfee Installation Designer
      • 25 MB — To configure an unmodified VirusScan Enterprise installation package
      • 35 MB — To configure an unmodified VirusScan Enterprise and Alert Manager installation package
      Operating System (Servers):
      • Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4
      • Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Service Pack 4
      • Windows 2000 DataCenter Server, Service Pack 2, 3, or 4
      • Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
      • Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
      • Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
      Operating System (Workstations)
      • Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4
      • Windows XP Home, Service Pack 1, 2, or 3
      • Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1, 2, or 3
      • NOTE: McAfee Installation Designer 8.7 is not supported on any 64-bit operating systems.

Processor:
      • Intel Pentium-class or compatible; Pentium or Celeron (recommended)
      Processor Speed:
      • 166 Mhz or higher

Installation instructions

McAfee does not support automatic upgrading of McAfee Installation  Designer 8.7i that was previously released. To upgrade to a later repost  of McAfee Installation Designer 8.7i, you must first uninstall the  existing version of the software.

To install McAfee Installation Designer:

1. Download the McAfee Installation Designer package and extract  the contents to a temporary folder on the computer where you want to  install the software.

3. Double-click the setup.exe file.

5. In the McAfee Installation Designer Setup dialog box, open and read the readme.txt file.

7. Click Next to open the License Agreement dialog box.

9. Read the entire license agreement carefully, accept the License Agreement, then click Next.

11. In the Select Installation Folder dialog box, accept the default installation path (c:\programfiles\McAfee\installationdesigner), or click Browse to select a different location.

13. Click Next to open the Ready to Install dialog box.

15. Click Next to begin the installation. The Installing McAfee  Installation Designer dialog box provides the status of the  installation.

17. Click Finish to complete the installation. If prompted, restart the computer.

McAfee Installation Designer Patch configuration

When creating a custom installation, using McAfee Installation Designer and VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3, the configuration requires additional steps to properly include the Patch in the custom installation package.

1. Create a registry file with the following registry settings.
      2. Registry Entry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection] "PatchRepair_582208"="1"

3. Insert the registry file listed above into the "Registry Settings"  option page. This applies the file before attempting to launch the Patch  installer.
      4. Finish creating the McAfee Installation Designer custom installation package and deploy.

[/quote]

So, Issue 5 lists MID and VSE 8.7 Repost 3. The solution is the Registry Entry listed immediately above (PatchRepair_582208). Does this still apply to VSE 8.7 Repost 4?

Ron Metzger

• 1. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1
          rmetzger

Not sure if my question is easily noticed. Most of my original posting is information leading up to my question:

rmetzger wrote:

So, Issue 5 lists MID and VSE 8.7 Repost 3. The solution is the Registry Entry listed immediately above (PatchRepair_582208). Does this still apply to VSE 8.7 Repost 4

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1

Repost 4 is cumulative, like all patches, and installing Repost 4 eliminates the need for installing any additional VSE patches.

HTH

• 3. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1
              rmetzger

sgrimmel wrote:

Repost 4 is cumulative, like all patches, and installing Repost 4 eliminates the need for installing any additional VSE patches.

HTH

Thank you for your reply.

The question is about MID not just about VSE and it's repost.

1. Issue: Due to changes made to the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3 MSI, VirsuScan Enterprise 8.7 Patches cannot install with McAfee Installation  Designer without an additional configuration step. For instructions on  adding a patch to a custom installation package, see McAfee Installation  Designer patch configuration under Installation instructions.

and

McAfee Installation Designer Patch configuration

When  creating a custom installation, using McAfee Installation Designer and  VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3, the configuration requires additional  steps to properly include the Patch in the custom installation package.

1. Create a registry file with the following registry settings.
              2. Registry Entry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection] "PatchRepair_582208"="1"

3. Insert  the registry file listed above into the "Registry Settings"  option  page. This applies the file before attempting to launch the Patch   installer.
              4. Finish creating the McAfee Installation Designer custom installation package and deploy.

Both VSE 8.7 Repost 3 and VSE 8.7 Repost 4 are "cumulative, like all patches." Yet "PatchRepair_582208"="1" is listed as a procedure needed with VSE 8.7 Repost 3. "The configuration requires additional steps to properly include the Patch in the custom installation package." Inserting the registry file listed above into the Registry Settings option page appears to be a requirement to successfully deploy a customized installation package. But the MID 8.7 Repost 1 documentation only references VSE 8.7 Repost 3, not 4.

Is this an oversight in the documentation? (If so, let's update the documentation.)

Or, did the changes made to the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3 MSI get reversed in VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 4 MSI.

Or, am I completely misinterpreting the documentation.

Please enlighten me.

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1
                rmetzger

Apparently, this has been answered in a knowledge base article:

MID 8.7 does not install VSE 8.7i Patch 4 together with VSE 8.7i Patch 3 Repost

[quote]

Cause

Missing registry key.

Solution

Install VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 4 Repost instead.

For downloading McAfee products, updates and documentation, visit the downloads page at: www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/index.html.

For instructions on downloading, see: KB56057- Downloading McAfee products, updates, or documentation

Workaround

CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
                • The following information is intended for System Administrators.  Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure  if done incorrectly.
                • Before proceeding, McAfee strongly recommends backing up  your registry and understanding the restore process. For more  information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
                • Do not run a .REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

When using McAfee Installation Designer 8.7 to create a custom installation for VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.7i, Patch 3 Repost  and  Patch 4 for VSE 8.7i, perform the following additional procedure to include Patch 4 in the custom installation package:

1. Before launching the patch installer, use a suitable  plain text editor such as Notepad to create a registry file with the  following contents:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection] "PatchRepair_582208"="1"

(alternatively, use the registry file attached to this article)

2. Double-click the newly created registry file.
                3. When prompted to confirm addition of its contents to the registry, click Yes.
                4. Create the McAfee Installation Designer custom installation package. For instructions, see PD22398 - Installation Designer 8.7 Product Guide.
                5. Deploy the package.

[/quote]

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

• 5. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1
                  rmetzger

A more thorough reading of VSE 8.7i Patch 4 Release Notes:

[quote]

30. Issue: MSI 4.5 prevents modifying VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 3

via Add/Remove Programs. The feature state for the product was set

to "disabled" even though the component files were installed.

(Reference: 582208)

Resolution: A new function runs prior to applying the Patch 4 that checks

the state of the features and repairs the states as needed.

Note: The repair function creates a registry value in

HKLM\Software\McAfee\DesktopProtection called

PatchRepair_582208 = 1.
                       The Patch 4 installer does not complete its installation if this

registry value is not present.

[/quote]

So, running VSE 8.7, Patch 4, applies a new repair function to create PatchRepair_582208 registry value.

Using MID, this value must be included if VSE 8.7 Repost 3 is the base install and adding Patch 4.

Deploying VSE 8.7 Repost 4 directly via MID does not require this setting.

Correct?

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

on 11/2/10 3:37:00 PM EDT
                  • 6. Re: MID v8.7 Repost 1

Please note that VSE 8.7i Patch 4 Repost is available.