Quote from the Repost 1 documentation:
About this release
This release was developed for use with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i.
- Release Date: 10-28-2010
- Version: 3.2.0
This release of the software includes the following improvements.
- McAfee Installation Designer can now be deployed to Windows 7 operating systems.
- Issue: McAfee Installation Designer is not supported on any 64-bit operating systems.
- Issue: If you create a VirusScan Enterprise installation package with an invalid .msp patch, the installation package file (Setup.exe) fails.
Workaround:Until McAfee Installation Designer has the ability to verify the validity of patches, be sure that all .msp patches included in an installation package are valid.
- Issue: If you create an installation package for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i, be sure the source version is 8.7 and not an earlier one. If you select 8.5 for the source by mistake, an alert message tells you there is a version mismatch. However, correcting the mistake does not remove the block on the configuration settings that the mismatch imposes, and you cannot continue. If this occurs, discard this package and create a new one.
- Issue: The error IDS_MID_CONFIG_FAILED (0006) might be logged to the Application Event log when installing a VirusScan package that has been modified by McAfee Installation Designer. The error occurs if a registry key is not yet created when the custom settings are applied. Up to four attempts are made to apply the settings, where each failure results in another Event log entry. Less than four log entries means the settings were successfully applied.
- Issue: Due to changes made to the VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3 MSI, VirsuScan Enterprise 8.7 Patches cannot install with McAfee Installation Designer without an additional configuration step. For instructions on adding a patch to a custom installation package, see McAfee Installation Designer patch configuration under Installation instructions.
- Issue: VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Repost Patch 4 packages created with McAfee Installation Designer fail to deploy to systems. (Reference: 624017)
Resolution: McAfee Installation Designer now recognizes the new naming scheme for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i extensions, both VIRUSCAN8700(xxx).zip and VIRUSCANREPORTS(xxx).zip which caused errors in the deployment scrip
Documentation is included on the product CD and/or is available with a valid grant number from the McAfee download site:
NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, product documentation comes as Adobe Acrobat PDF files. The product CD includes the latest version of Acrobat Reader, or you can download any version from the Adobe web site:http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later
Free Disk Space:
- 15 MB — To perform a complete installation of McAfee Installation Designer
- 25 MB — To configure an unmodified VirusScan Enterprise installation package
- 35 MB — To configure an unmodified VirusScan Enterprise and Alert Manager installation package
Operating System (Servers):
- Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Service Pack 4
- Windows 2000 DataCenter Server, Service Pack 2, 3, or 4
- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
- Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, Service Pack 1 or 2
Operating System (Workstations)
- Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4
- Windows XP Home, Service Pack 1, 2, or 3
- Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1, 2, or 3
NOTE: McAfee Installation Designer 8.7 is not supported on any 64-bit operating systems.
- Intel Pentium-class or compatible; Pentium or Celeron (recommended)
- 166 Mhz or higher
McAfee does not support automatic upgrading of McAfee Installation Designer 8.7i that was previously released. To upgrade to a later repost of McAfee Installation Designer 8.7i, you must first uninstall the existing version of the software.
To install McAfee Installation Designer:
- Download the McAfee Installation Designer package and extract the contents to a temporary folder on the computer where you want to install the software.
- Double-click the setup.exe file.
- In the McAfee Installation Designer Setup dialog box, open and read the readme.txt file.
- Click Next to open the License Agreement dialog box.
- Read the entire license agreement carefully, accept the License Agreement, then click Next.
- In the Select Installation Folder dialog box, accept the default installation path (c:\programfiles\McAfee\installationdesigner), or click Browse to select a different location.
- Click Next to open the Ready to Install dialog box.
- Click Next to begin the installation. The Installing McAfee Installation Designer dialog box provides the status of the installation.
- Click Finish to complete the installation. If prompted, restart the computer.
McAfee Installation Designer Patch configuration
When creating a custom installation, using McAfee Installation Designer and VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 Repost 3, the configuration requires additional steps to properly include the Patch in the custom installation package.
- Create a registry file with the following registry settings.
- Insert the registry file listed above into the "Registry Settings" option page. This applies the file before attempting to launch the Patch installer.
- Finish creating the McAfee Installation Designer custom installation package and deploy.
So, Issue 5 lists MID and VSE 8.7 Repost 3. The solution is the Registry Entry listed immediately above (PatchRepair_582208). Does this still apply to VSE 8.7 Repost 4?