4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 1:07 PM by garioch7

PKZIP scanning?

I am new to McAfee.  I use PKZIP (SecureZip Version 11).  I was using AVG and it would scan my zip files when I extracted them.  PKZIP lists McAfee as a supported virus scan software, but it looks for "scan32.exe" and can't find it.  Neither can I.

Can I safely disable the PKZIP virus scan option because McAfee is looking after things in some other way (real-time scanning?), or do I need to get some kind of command line scanner file from McAfee?

Sorry for such a novice question, but I couldn't find information elsewhere.  Thank you for your help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

garioch7

• 1. Re: PKZIP scanning?

So do you mean PKZIP (SecureZip Version 11) contains encrypted files?

• 2. Re: PKZIP scanning?

Thank you for your response.  The .zip file can contain encrypted files, if you set PKZIP to encrypt them.  PKZIP includes a virus scanning feature to scan ALL files, encrypted and non-encrypted when the files are unzipped.  PKZIP looks for "scan32.exe" when trying to scan and can't find that McAfee file.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-garioch7

• 3. Re: PKZIP scanning?
              vinoo

The real-time scanning of any antivirus should inspect and scan files as they are read or extracted from the zip archive onto the disk. There isn't an explicit need to do a command line scan unless the cls parameters passed contain more aggressive/heuristic settings than the real-time scan default. This option is typically used on systems were realtime scanning is turned off.

• 4. Re: PKZIP scanning?

Thank you for that information.  I was guessing that McAfee would be watching what was being unzipped, so the PKZIP command line scanner option was just overkill.

Thanks again for your help and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil