8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 2:16 PM by bhautik

SafeBoot Database Splitting...

bhautik

Hi....

We have curruntly more than 40 K objects globally connected with one SafeBoot server... the server & client operation wokring properly, but in most of the Asia-Pacific sites we are facing Network Latency n due to that SafeBoot client installation activity is hampered.... so we are planning to create new server for Asia region... but we don't want to uninstall the existing client from the existing SafeBoot server (tso you guys have any idea to share....... measn my new & old Asia pacific client should be sync with the new Asia Pacific server....

• 1. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

Just copy existing database to new server in their region, change SDMCFG.INI to reflect new server properties (Name or IP), create new installation sets and deploy them. You could also push new SDMCFG.INI to existing AsiaPAC clients to redirect them to new server instance.

• 2. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

don't forget to buy a new licence for your 2nd database

• 3. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

It is the same database, just second instance of it. Same company, I assume. Consider it as a "backup server". No extra license needed.

• 4. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

I see - so what about the helpdesk cost of supporting a second set of untrained inexperienced administrators?

Read your licence agreement - you bought a particular package. If you want to deviate from that you need to talk to your McAfee representative and agree a change in T&C otherwise you'll be in breach of the agreement.

• 5. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

SafeBoot wrote:

I see - so what about the helpdesk cost of supporting a second set of untrained inexperienced administrators?

Read your licence agreement - you bought a particular package. If you want to deviate from that you need to talk to your McAfee representative and agree a change in T&C otherwise you'll be in breach of the agreement.

Helpdesk issue is not really related to this.

As for license agreement, do you advise to buy separate license for a backup or secondary server (same database, same organization)?

• 6. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...

I advise the OP speaks to his account manager to make sure they don't cross outside the terms of their licence. It's in the best interests of everyone to make sure they stay on the right side of their agreement.

• 7. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...
                      safebootsamurai

I have done this for a customer and its pretty much what Peter was saying, Copy the DB and Create a file group for the SDMCFG.ini for each server. The hard part is getting the file group assigned to the clients you want to move. If your structure is sound this might not be to bad. I ended up using a script that read a csv and assigned the group to the machines in the list cause the db was unstructured.

Now for what Safeboot is saying, Contacting your account rep is very important as well as updated licensing. Your best bet would be to have a new grant number created for the Asia division and a new license created for that grant. Youll also have to have a new license created for your existing db for the nodes that will be staying. As long as you split the license number you should be fine because if you just copy the db and call it a day your technically doubling your licensing, and thats a big no no.

• 8. Re: SafeBoot Database Splitting...
                        bhautik

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply, I will check the same thing in my dummy database & post reply soon.. Thanks