4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 2:21 PM by pschmehl

ePO 4.5 - where are the log messages stored?

pschmehl

Does anyone know where I can find the log messages that are generated by tasks?  For example, I'm manually running forced agent installs to rogue hosts.  Some succeed.  Some expire.  Some fail.  I'd like to find a way to extract the log messages (other than manually) that are generated by these tasks.  In order to get to them I have to go to server task logs, open a log, select a job, open the job, select Subtasks (because I'm not interested in the job log), select a specific host and then I can view the log message that tells me why the job failed.

I can query the db directly to get a list of hosts that failed, but I haven't found a location in the db where those subtask log messages are stored.  Are they stored in the db?  On the server's hard drive?  On the db server's hard drive?

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5 - where are the log messages stored?
          pschmehl

To clarify, this sql will get me a list of all the hosts with failure status in the subtask:

select DISTINCT [OrionTaskLogSubtask].[Name]
          from OrionTaskLogSubtask
          where OrionTaskLogSubtask.Status='1'

I want to also extract the log message so I can see the reason for the failure for each host.  Can't seem to find those log messages anywhere in the db.

• 2. Re: ePO 4.5 - where are the log messages stored?
            metalhead

I would suggest looking in the ePO logfiles which are stored in the filesystem.

Agent push events are afaik logged in the ORION.LOG (%epoinstallpath%\Server\Logs), Replication is logged in EPOPSVR.LOG (%epoinstallpath%\DB\Logs).

If this is what you mean ... there is no detailed logging e.g. for each replicated file in ePOs database - this is stored in the above mentioned logfiles.

Cheers Tom

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5 - where are the log messages stored?
              pschmehl

metalhead wrote:

I would suggest looking in the ePO logfiles which are stored in the filesystem.

Agent push events are afaik logged in the ORION.LOG (%epoinstallpath%\Server\Logs), Replication is logged in EPOPSVR.LOG (%epoinstallpath%\DB\Logs).

If this is what you mean ... there is no detailed logging e.g. for each replicated file in ePOs database - this is stored in the above mentioned logfiles.

Cheers Tom

I had already looked at those, but I went back and did a search for "Logon failure" in the ePO directory and all its subdirectories.  No joy.  I'm thinking these have to be in the database somehwere - the question is where.  I'll poke around some more.

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5 - where are the log messages stored?
                pschmehl

Figured it out.  This query will return all logon failures by unique name (ip or hostname) for Orion tasks:

select DISTINCT OrionSchedulerTaskLog.Name
                from OrionSchedulerTaskLogDetail, OrionSchedulerTaskLog
                where OrionSchedulerTaskLogDetail.Message
                like '%logon failure%' and
                OrionSchedulerTaskLogDetail.TaskLogId=OrionSchedulerTaskLog.Id
                ORDER BY  OrionSchedulerTaskLog.Name asc

Message was edited by: pschmehl on 10/29/10 2:21:44 PM CDT