1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 5:49 PM by AndrooCirce

How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

Last night my daughter was doing some internet research and when she finished there was a window open on my laptop screen that said 'System Defragmenter.' There appeared to be a scan in progress.  Eventually several 'critical' error messages were displayed and when I attempted to click through them it initially blocked access to Outlook and Internet Explorer and then eventually shut my whole system down. Of course it is demanding that I 'purhcase' the full version of the product in order to 'fix' all the critical errors it has made up. I managed with some effort to look it up online and it appears to be Malware that Mcafee is unaware of at this stage (my Mcafee Security is completely up to date and I ran a full system scan which detected nothing).  I contacted Mcafee today and they pretty much directed me here.  Fortunately I'm on my work computer today and can print things out before I go home if some kind soul has some procedures for removing this nasty thing.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?
          Hayton

Since no-one else has yet offered to help ...

I Googled this one and it looks as if this rogue program is fairly new. It's not a virus, nor a Trojan, so McAfee might not have been on the lookout for it.

In other cases of this sort Ex-Brit has recommended following the removal procedures suggested by the BleepingComputer team. He's generally pretty good at pointing people in the right direction, so I'll follow his lead for this one.

The page for getting rid of this rogue app is at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-defragmenter

Google turned up several other links for removal, but BleepingComputer advises running MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, which apparently has been updated to recognise System Defragmenter; if you want, you can shop around and see what the others are saying, but this site is usually okay.

Good luck with the removal.

For anyone who hasn't come across this new rogue app, this description is taken from the BleepingComputer page :

"What this infection does:

System Defragmenter is a fake computer defragmenter that hijacks your computer and does not allow you to use it properly. System Defragmenter pretends to be a computer error repair and optimization program that scans your hard drives and memory for problems. When installed System Defragmenter will be configured to start automatically when you login to Windows. Once started, it will display numerous error messages when you attempt to launch programs or delete files. It will then prompt you to scan your computer with the program, which will state that there are a variety of errors that it cannot fix until you purchase the program. As this program is a scam do not be scared into purchasing the program when you see its alerts."

• 2. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

I was really surprised that McAfee didn't catch this virus. I have been a subscriber for some time and I will be looking at other virus software when my subscription expires. Now for the solution. Run system restore. Sure you will lose some files, but it will get rid of this thing. While you are system restoring, just leave the popups alone. You can move them around the screen, but pushing the buttons seem to activate more of them. Hope this helps. Tom

Message was edited by: Starman92316 on 10/28/10 10:41:33 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?
              Hayton

Well, it's not a virus and it's not (perhaps) a Trojan, although such applications can download malware once they start operating. It looks like it's just a fake program, a money-making scam. Anti-virus software can't tell the difference between a genuine program and a fake one unless the fake one starts doing something that alerts McAfee to its suspicious behaviour. Malwarebytes has a regularly updated list of such rogue programs and knows how to get rid of them.

Google for "system defragmenter rogue program" and you'll find plenty of advice on how to get rid of it, although everyone's trying to get you to use their own particular tool to do it. Everyone agrees that this is a rogue app, rather than a virus.

• 4. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

I agree with you that it's not a virus, but McAfee has alerted me in the past to suspicious programs trying to download to my computer. I am wondering why it didn't this time. Oh well, the "Restore Point" worked for me. Just a suggestion for people to try. Tom

• 5. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

Well, I have the most updated McAfee but I got hit by this system  defragmenter two days ago.  I tried to do a McAfee full scan but it came  up with NOTHING!  That got to be a joke!  There, my computer was  hijacked by this malware and McAfee said I got no infected objects on my  computer.  I ended up doing the bleepingcomputer.com thing and only  managed to clear all the infected items, all 455 of them.  However,  system defragmenter managed to stay on my computer.  Each time I start  Windows it pops right up on my tool bar.  I run rkill to remove the tool  bar icon but the one on my desktop doesn't go anywhere.  After running  malwarebytes three times (1 full and 2 quick) the last scan came up with  zero infacted object.  So I tried to remove system defragmenter from my  program files but I couldn't find it in "uninstall a program".  At the  same time, I can see it big and clear when I click on "All programs" as  one of the programs on my computer.  At this point I really don't know  what else to do.  I may have to take my computer to Future Shop and pay  them to rid of it once and for all.  McAfee is not "responsible" because  this is not a virus.  Don't expect to get any help from them.

• 6. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

Hey, i when i read your situation i felt kinda bad so i created this account just to help you lol. i had the same problem as you until just about 5 minutes ago when i finally figured out how to fix it. This is what i did:

1. run rkill.bat. this will end the system defragmenter program so you can actually use your computer without the annoying pop-ups. (just google rkill it should come up)

2. click the start menu and click run. then type regedit. this opens registry editor. open the following files: HKEY_CURRENT_USER--->software-->microsoft-->windows-->current version-->run. highlight (will be random name).exe and click edit then delete.

3. restart your computer to end rkill.

4. to get internet back open control panel-->internet options-->connections tab-->LAN settings--> uncheck the "proxy" box--> click ok.

5. now download hitman pro 3.5 and run scan.

6. once the scan is done, click next. it will then ask you for a number. ignore this and towards the bottom of the screen click the free trial then click next.

7. it will clean the damn virus and restart your computer.

The virus should now be totally gone.

reply to me if i helped!!

-Joonkibj94

BTW i tried everything what the people above said. i ran like 5 malware bytes scans and nothing worked. So i think this is one of the few solutions that ill work.

Message was edited by: joonkibj94 on 11/8/10 5:52:54 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

Hey, i when i read your situation i felt kinda bad so i created this account just to help you lol. i had the same problem as you until just about 5 minutes ago when i finally figured out how to fix it. This is what i did:

1. run rkill.bat. this will end the system defragmenter program so you can actually use your computer without the annoying pop-ups. (just google rkill it should come up)

2. click the start menu and click run. then type regedit. this opens registry editor. open the following files: HKEY_CURRENT_USER--->software-->microsoft-->windows-->current version-->run. highlight (will be random name).exe and click edit then delete.

3. restart your computer to end rkill.

4. to get internet back open control panel-->internet options-->connections tab-->LAN settings--> uncheck the "proxy" box--> click ok.

5. now download hitman pro 3.5 and run scan.

6. once the scan is done, click next. it will then ask you for a number. ignore this and towards the bottom of the screen click the free trial then click next.

7. it will clean the damn virus and restart your computer.

The virus should now be totally gone.

reply to me if i helped!!

-Joonkibj94

BTW i tried everything what the people above said. i ran like 5 malware bytes scans and nothing worked. So i think this is one of the few solutions that ill work.

• 8. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

Joonkibj94, thank you so much for trying to help.  I am appreciate your efforts in going out of your way to set up an account to help me.  After trying everything I could think of but going nowhere, I finally took my computer in for the pros to deal with it.  Good thing I did.  They told me my C drive was damaged.  No clues how that happened but they said if not fixed the C drive would cause me griefs.  So they replaced the C drive, remove system defragmenter etc.  By the time I picked up my computer it was $210 on the bill.  I personally didn't think all of that was necessary but I am totally clueless when it comes to the technical stuff so might as well bite the bullet and do whatever recommended to me.   But I will keep this page bookmarked just in case system defragmentor s.  Once again, thank you very much for your kindness.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will never have to deal with something this nasty again.  Cheers!  Sourdoughgirl 

• 9. Re: How do I get rid of System Defragmenter malware?

joonkibj94...I registered just so I could reply to you.  I have tried so many different things over the past 3 days (including the info above) and NOTHING WORKED!!  I was so frustrated.  Then I tried your way.  i have to be honest...I was a little scared about the whole "registry" thing, but I figured that I was so frustrated that I didn't care.  AND IT WORKED!  Thank you so much for posting this!

1 2 3 Previous Next