1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 3:19 PM by michaelp77 RSS

Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.

When I click on skip button, it does nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled Mcafee, but it's still doing the same thing. I can run MD5 on it and get correct check sum, so the file is not corrupt and other software is able to read it ok. I moved the file to different hard drive and copied it back, but it's still getting stuck. Since I got Mcafee, I was never able to do a full scan because it gets stuck.

Mcafee support chat told me to contact the vendor to correct this. But this is silly. I wouldn't call Mcafee because Microsoft notepad fails to read a file. Virus software not able to scan a file that is readable by all other software seems to be the problem of the virus scan software. Talk about shifting the blame the wrong way!

I'm running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. In one of the links, there was recommendation to get the latest DAT here

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp

But it does not install. It says "Error: Unable to find any qualifying Mcafee product(s)."

What gives? How do I make it run a full scan? Any help in getting it working is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.
          Peacekeeper

That dat update method is for the enterprise version we haven't been able to use that for home products for 2-3 years. We mods have notified Mcafee re these erroneous FAqs.

That said what file and path is it sticking on?

• 2. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.

The file is 10.0_modelsim_ase_windows_rev2.exe. It's installer (not installed app) for Altera's Modelsim software. But when I get rid of this file, McAfee gets stuck on another file. It's located at C:\altera 10.0\win.

• 3. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.
              tromine

Frustrated-

Our product team has been considering an update, that would allow 'file exclusion' for scheduled scans.  For really large .exe files, it's true that scans can require a lot more time, especially on PC's with less than optimal processor power and RAM.  Out of curiousity, have you tried running a 'custom scan' with the option to 'scan using minimal resources' unchecked?  I'd be interested to know if it completes the scan under those parameters.  If so, it probably means your scans will complete...but will just require more time.

From the Security Center home screen > Virus and Spyware Protection > Scan Your PC > Run a custom scan > *uncheck* Run using minimal resources > Scan.

CustomScan.JPG

• 4. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.

I moved the trouble folder to desktop and did a manual scan just on desktop without "Run using minimal resources". It's same thing. CPU usage is high, fan is blowing hard, but there's barely any hard drive activity. On top of that, the computer is behaving sluggish. So far, it's been over an hour on this one file with fan blowing full speed.

I have Win7 64bit with 8 GB of RAM i5-520M and Nvidia GEFORCE GPU. It's not the fastest, but it's no slouch, either. I'd consider it above average in terms of newer PC, and far better equipped than "typical" PC.

I ran memtest86 for over 4 days to make sure it's not the hardware memory problem. I ran scandisk and also copied the file to another drive then back. I also ran MD5 on them to make sure they are readable and not corrupted.

It's still stuck on that same file. I also have 4 GB files that need to be scanned after this 400MB file is done, so I'd like to get this resolved the right way. I don't think excluding the file is the right thing to do. What if that file happen to be infected?

• 5. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.

By the way, skip button doesn't work.

• 6. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.
                    tromine

Sounds like your HW is more than adequate.  I think this is where my technical knowledge gets eclipsed, and it's probably time to go straight to Support.  You know we've got free Chat support?  Go to service.mcafee.com and hit up one of our agents.  To be honest, this sounds like an issue that will likely need to get escalated to a higher tier of Support, and maybe to Engineering.  Feel free to tell the Support Agent you've spoken with me, and we'd already done some basic troubleshooting.  Might get a quicker escalation.  Sorry for the trouble.

• 7. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.

Unfortunately, McAfee support was useless. He kept insisting that there's something wrong with the file being scanned. I kept telling him that I was able to run MD5 and copy and move and all that, but he wouldn't budge. He told me to go check myself with Altera (company that sells the large file that kills McAfee). As I mentioned in my original post, it's like Microsoft blaming Notepad not able to open a file on the text file instead of saying there might be a problem with Notepad, even though all other problems are able to open it. I don't want to waste another hour with someone going over the same thing only to be told that my text file has problems. What else can I do? If at least the skip button works, I could get through further, although I have dozens (maybe hundreds) of these large files over 500MB...

• 8. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.
                        tromine

My bad.  Shoot me a private message with your contact info, and if you have it, your Service Request number.  I'll see if I can get a higher tier agent on your case.

• 9. Re: Mcafee virus scan gets stuck in a file and never completes the scan.
                          dougr_t3_support

There was a duplicate thread https://community.mcafee.com/message/156856#156856 which is now locked.

I spoke with the developer and they said sometimes the Skip button may take some time to "kick in" on large files.

Have you tried clicking "Skip" and then waiting? If so how long did you wait?

What I do for things I dont want scanned is put them on a separate drive and "uncheck" it from scans. Another alternative is to encrypt the files so they cant be scanned. WinZip type applicattions work well.

Regards,

1 2 3 4 Previous Next