4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 5:09 PM by pschmehl

ePO 4.5 - things I can't do

pschmehl

Click on Dashboard

Click on the Windows portion of the Rogue Systems pie (OK, you have to set this up in your dashboard first - or run the query)

Click on the box to the left of Computer Name which selects ALL of the rogue systems

Click on Actions/Detected Systems, Deploy Agents - damn!  It's greyed out.  Why?  If I laboriously go through and check every single system, it's not greyed out.

Click on Dashboard

Click on the Printers portion of the Rogue Systems pie

Click on the box to the left of Computer Name

Click on Actions/Detected Systems/Add to Exceptions

Select the Category you want to put the exception in or create a new one

Click on OK - damn! - error message - "Failed to mark systems as Exceptions (The multi-part identifier RSDDetectedSystems.Rogue could not be bound.)"  (I get this a lot.)

Click on Menu

Click on Systems/Detected Systems (you have to be using Rogue Sensors for this to be useful)

Click on Subnet Status/Uncovered

Select a Subnet

Click on View Managed Systems

Click on the box to the left of Computer Name to select all the systems

Click on Actions/Rogue Sensor/Install Rogue Sensor

Click on OK - dammit!  error - "Invalid input datasource!"

Select the hosts individually - works fine.

That's enough for now - there's more - but damn it's frustrating to try to do stuff and you can't.

Oh, wait, one more - why can't I create a task that does the following:

1) Filter for all unmanaged systems (top level, lower OU, who cares?)

2) Schedule a daily FORCED agent install - the daily install does me absolutely no good unless it's forced, because the hosts already have agents installed that were (and still are) reporting to the ePO 4.0 server.

Come on, McAfee.  This stuff is no-brainer kind of stuff for an enterprise level app.

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5 - things I can't do

Speaking to your last question at least:

Have you looked into creating a server task to run at your desired interval which runs the query "unmanaged systems" and as a subaction does an Agent deployment with "force install"?

I think that should take care of the use case you spelled out.

regards

Roger

• 2. Re: ePO 4.5 - things I can't do
            pschmehl

rwood wrote:

Speaking to your last question at least:

Have you looked into creating a server task to run at your desired interval which runs the query "unmanaged systems" and as a subaction does an Agent deployment with "force install"?

I think that should take care of the use case you spelled out.

regards

Roger

Yes, I have done that.  I'm not sure why I should have to create the query, though.  One of the options for a server task really ought to be "Managed systems - true/false", but that's not available.

ISTM the logic for a task should be 1) what do you want to do? and 2) what assets do you want to do this to?  Then ePO should allow me to select whatever criteria make sense to me for running the task - managed or unmanaged, compliant or non-compliant, what product version, what dat version, etc., etc.  Apparently no one at McAfee that has input into the design of ePO actually uses the product in an enterprise setting or has spoken to anyone that does.....

Mind you, I think ePO is a great product.  It's just that it could be so much better and more useful if they would ask those who use it what they would like to see it do or how they routinely try to use it.

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5 - things I can't do

Ah, the "unmanaged systems" query is already created...

so teh logic for the task is slightly different than you propose below. It is (1) find me all the systems that meet these criteria (2) and do this to them (where "this" can be a list of things).

The balancing act for server tasks is to provide a really generic method for supporting just about anything you, our customers, want to do in an automated fashion against building some flows that are optimized for a narrow set of tasks. that does mean that sometimes a particular workflow is not as smooth for a given task as it might be. On the other hand it means that you can use it in many different and powerful ways.

We do listen and take to heart customer comments on the sticky parts though, so we can improve with each release.

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5 - things I can't do
                pschmehl

rwood wrote:

Ah, the "unmanaged systems" query is already created...

so teh logic for the task is slightly different than you propose below. It is (1) find me all the systems that meet these criteria (2) and do this to them (where "this" can be a list of things).

The balancing act for server tasks is to provide a really generic method for supporting just about anything you, our customers, want to do in an automated fashion against building some flows that are optimized for a narrow set of tasks. that does mean that sometimes a particular workflow is not as smooth for a given task as it might be. On the other hand it means that you can use it in many different and powerful ways.

We do listen and take to heart customer comments on the sticky parts though, so we can improve with each release.

There is a query, but it returns not just the system name but also the managed state (why?  We already know it's querying for unmanaged assets.) and the last communication time.  I wasn't aware that you could run jobs off of queries that return multiple fields.