8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 5:11 PM by garrygraham

I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

Something is redirecting me when I do a google search and then click on one of the search results.

Once I see that I am being redirected, I just cancel the window and do it over, it usually work fine the second time.

I have reloaded McAfee , scanned C & D drive in safe mode.

I have run Stinger twice, as per instructions

What is my next step.

Thanks

Garry

• 1. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result
          Vinod R

Could you get me the Stinger log files please....

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOOL IS TO BE RUN ONLY AS INDICATED IN DIAGNOSTICS MODE . DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR REPAIR BASED ON THE RESULTS OBTAINED BY THE TOOL.

Please follow the instruction given below to run the Tool in Very High Sensitivity level with REPORT ONLY mode. ( Note: If the scan is initiated with a high sensitivity mode and set to repair , It might cause ire-repairable damages to the machine hence always run it in REPORT ONLY MODE)

McAfee Labs Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

1. Download      v10.0.1.688   
          2. When prompted, choose to save the file to a convenient location on your      hard disk (such as your Desktop folder).

3. When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the      downloaded Stinger file, and run it. WindowsME/XP/Vista users read      this first.

4. The Stinger interface will be displayed.

5. If necessary, click the Add or Browse     button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive      will be scanned.
          6. By default, Stinger will repair all infected files found THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED
          7. Enable Artemis Technology in stinger click on preferences and then select      the required sensitivity level.  If you select "High" or "Very High" McAfee Labs      recommends that you set the "On virus detection" action to "Report only" for the first scan.

8. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified      drives/directories.
          9. Once the scan is done Click the File menu and select Save report to file.
          10. Locate and examine the save report / attach it to the thread on which the helper was assisting you on the community.

Message was edited by: Vinod R on 27/10/10 3:47:41 AM IST
          • 2. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

I have tried several time to get a report that says something meaningful.  this is what I got.

The problem still exsists

• 3. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

I am still experiencing this problem, can anybody HELP

• 4. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result
                Hayton

I don't know if you're getting redirected for any Google search result or only for one particular result.

It's a browser hijack anyway, and there seems to be a spate of them just at the moment. Someone's put out a cunning little piece of mini-malware that's doing the rounds.

This may not work for you, but it's always worth asking : have you run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? It picks up things that McAfee either overlooks or doesn't think are dangerous enough to make a fuss about. I ran it today and it found - yes - a browser hijack. Reported, quarantined, gone, no more worries. If you haven't already run it, it's free, it's useful, and it works. I recommend it. Of course, it might not fix your problem, but at least it won't do any damage to your system.

Malwarebytes : http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

I think we have a fix, Thank you Thanks You THANK YOU.

I did not download the program you suggested but did download EMCO malware destroyer (because it was free)

It found a worm called NMC.HLLW.OROR.C and two malware items.  The search problems seems to have disappeared.

I was not aware the McAfee Anti virus plus did not handle malware, thanks for informing me, I was surprised it missed a WORM.

I will keep testing it and repost if I have a problem.

THANKS AGAIN

Garry

• 6. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result
                    Hayton

garrygraham wrote:

I did not download the program you suggested but did download EMCO malware destroyer (because it was free)

It found a worm called NMC.HLLW.OROR.C and two malware items.  The search problems seems to have disappeared.

I was not aware the McAfee Anti virus plus did not handle malware, thanks for informing me, I was surprised it missed a WORM.

Interesting. Did you download this program just because it was free? So is Malwarebytes.

Have you looked at the site review pages for EMCO at all? Not just on McAfee, but also on WOT and Norton Safe Web.

McAfee does pick up malware, and is pretty good at it. Not, I think, the best, but still pretty good.

Can you confirm the name of the malware that this program detected, and also the location(s) on your disk where it was said to be; also did it detect any registry problems?

If your problem has gone away then I think perhaps you have reason to be satisfied. But ... if you have switched off your PC since you did the scan with EMCO, did you encounter any problems at all with Windows when you restarted? I'm interested to see how EMCO behaves; this is not a program I have tested so your experience with it would be useful as a guide for others.

And I would suggest that you now run a scan with Malwarebytes to see what that program detects.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 02/11/10 00:08:35 GMT
                    • 7. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

Thank you for the info, I choose EMCO because it was rated high on the tucows download site.  I will try and find out how to run malwarebytes for free and report back on it and the other question you had.

Thanks again

Garry

• 8. Re: I am being redirected  when I  click on a google search result

I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it.  Malwarebytes found 172 infected items, thats the good news.  The bad news is I am still being redirected.

The results of the ECON scan were as follows

MachineNameTypeDateTime
                        Action : Detected
                        FREDNMC.FUNWEBPRODUCTSADWARE01/11/20103:09:13 PM
                        FREDNMC.HLLW.OROR.CWORM01/11/20103:09:14 PM
                        FREDNMC.IWONADWARE01/11/20103:09:14 PM
                        FREDNMC.HLLW.OROR.CWORM03/11/201012:05:05 AM

I am going to post a new tread and start over.

One other clue is that I keep getting a blank web page that says

www.epoclick.com/?ad=1288800529

Also, I got an unusual message that said, System configuration utility, microsoft windows wanted to run something, I denied it.

THAT IS ALL I KNOW.

Thanks for all your help, I think we are making progress.

Garry