5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 5:09 PM by Peter M

Security Threat

I have Mcafee installed on my home PC, it is valid for another 7 weeks.

This morning I am getting lots of pop-ups stating the following:

'Network intrusion detected. Process is attempting to access your private data'

It also states that I am running a demo only anti virus and need to upgrade.

There is a click here button which surprisingly takes you to a page requesting your bank account details!

Some of these messages are coming through Windows Security Alerts

I have checked my Mcafee antivirus and it is showing that everything is ok.

The pop-ups are currently appearing every 30 seconds and are getting annoying!

Any help greatly received.

• 1. Re: Security Threat
          Peter M

You are the victim of a fake anti-malware attack.   Is there a name for the application they are trying to persuade you to use?

Install the FREE version of THIS software, update it, and then run a full scan.  Let it remove anything it finds and reboot immediately if asked to.

If for some reason this malware prevents the installation, try using right-click, "Save as" and save the installer to your desktop renaming it in the process to something like 12345.exe or similar.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Security Threat

Hi ex-brit

the pop-ups were just titled Anti Virus, but the layout was very much like McAfee

Problem now solved, many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

regards

Dave

• 3. Re: Security Threat
              Peter M

I thought so, thanks.  That's great, good luck.

• 4. Re: Security Threat

Peter,  thanks so much for your advice.

I installed the software advised and it found alot of malware which I didn't know existed.   (Husband clicked some spoof virus alert which infected my laptop with something which stopped my mcafee software!)   After the scan and deletion of files (shocked at how many!) I could reinstall mcafee and it's working ok again!

Phew....

Thanks you really saved the day!

Jules

• 5. Re: Security Threat
                  Peter M

Glad to have helped.