5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 3:23 PM by exbrit

Real-Time or Regular Scan Will Not Work Getting BSOD

I am having trouble with McAfee Total Protection on my older “legacy” machine. I had it installed there and it was OK for quite some time (about a year) but I noticed recently that the Real-Time scanning kept turning off. When I run a scan I get “An unexpected problem occurred during your scan.” The only hardware discrepancy I see is that the processor is 908 MHz not 1GHz. There were no indications of a virus.

I ran the virtual technician but nothing was found then I tried uninstall and used MCPR.exe to clean things up and then reinstalled Total Protection and started getting BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I finally uninstalled McAfee Total Protection again using MCPR.exe, fired up some software tools and did some cleanup on the registry, boot record, the disk drive, etc. That seemed to fix the BSOD so I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection. The Real-Time scanning still keeps shutting down and I still get “An unexpected problem occurred during your scan.” when I run a scan. I am also back to the BSOD.

I am going to uninstalled McAfee Total Protection again, clean things up and then wait several days to see if the BSOD problem reappears. If it does not that is a sure sign there is a problem with the McAfee software. What do you folks recommend I do then? I am about to give up on McAfee for this machine and try a copy of NOD32 that I own. I have already wasted 10+ hours on this.

• 1. Re: Real-Time or Regular Scan Will Not Work Getting BSOD
          exbrit

It isn't recommended to try it on a machine using less than the minimum requirements and you are probably better off with one of the several free individual antivirus and firewall applications out there.   McAfee comes as a suite and therefore is more resource hungry.

Supported Operating Systems

• Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
          • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
          • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) View FAQ

Compatible with Windows XP Compatible with Windows Vista  Compatible with Windows7

System Requirements

• 1 GHz processor or higher
          • 800 × 600 or higher resolution
          • 256 MB RAM or higher for Windows XP (512 MB recommended)
          • 512 MB RAM for Vista/Windows 7 (2GB recommended)
          • 200 MB of available free drive space
          • Internet connection

Supported Browsers

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
          • Optional: Mozilla Firefox 2 or later

Supported Email Programs

• POP3 – Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird
          • MAPI – Outlook
          • Windows Live Mail
          • Web – MSN/Hotmail, or email account with POP3 access

Supported Instant Messaging Programs

• AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or later
          • Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or later
          • Microsoft Windows
          • Messenger 3.6 or later
          • MSN Messenger 6.0 or later

Required for Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In

• Outlook Express
          • Windows Mail
          • Outlook 2000 or later
          • Eudora
          • Thunderbird 1.5 or later
          • Anti-Spam also supports any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and web accounts

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/10/10 1:23:19 EDT PM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Real-Time or Regular Scan Will Not Work Getting BSOD

Thanks, for the reply Ex_Brit. I was thinking of trying that NOD32 from Eset since I have a copy it may not work either do to resource requirements. Do you have any free individual antivirus apps that you would recommend?

• 3. Re: Real-Time or Regular Scan Will Not Work Getting BSOD
              exbrit

Well, I know I shouldn't really be recommending other brands but I installed Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall (both free) on my netbook which I keep as a backup in case my desktop has problems.   It has very limited resources and I found that McAfee bogged it down so much because it isn't just antivirus and firewall but a whole raft of tools as well, and I think it was just too much for the processor (1.66ghz).   It works just fine with those.

If you want something from McAfee that will help protect your browser, download the free version of SiteAdvisor add-on from http://www.siteadvisor.com which is good for Internet Explorer & Firefox.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/10/10 1:48:54 EDT PM
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Real-Time or Regular Scan Will Not Work Getting BSOD

Thanks. That’s most helpful. As a fallback I now have NOD32 and your recommendations. I’ll try to resolve this with McAfee. The processor is slower than they recommend but maybe that isn’t a show stopper since it was running OK up until last week. I guess possibly some upgrade pushed it over the line and of course there could be some other issue. Since the machine in question isn’t used much for internet access or new software and only for some legacy software modifications (specifically old Delphi apps), I’ll just run things as is for a few days to see if there are any problems. I have had issues like this before over the years and sometimes have had to fix or reinstall Windows. L