6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2010 5:58 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

McAfee Control Center is just a white box.

Whenever I try to open the control center(or anything that has something to do with McAfee) the only thing that comes up is just a plain white box.  I've tried uninstalling, but the only thing that opens is a white box.  I've tried downloading it again, but the only thing that opens when I begin setup is a white box.  Windows Defender is also saying I have no Virus protection.  McAfee isn't working at all.  It's not performing scheduled scans, performing live protection, and the McAfee site advisor isn't working.  This problem began when I was running Windows Vista 32 bit and had Internet Explorer 8.  I upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit and now have Internet Explorer 9 and the problem continues.  This all began when McAfee updated a few months ago.

• 1. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.

Nothing I've tried has worked.

Message was edited by: MynameisDevyn on 10/23/10 7:58:57 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.
            Ex_Brit

Devyn,

IE9 is a beta browser and isn't supported, read about that here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1779

McAfee SecurityCenter relies on Internet Explorer being set to its defaults whether or not it's your default browser.

Also if the blank page was occuring prior to installing IE9 beta, perhaps your IE8 was also beta?  The other possibility is that IE8 was not set to its defaults.  So once you've uninstalled IE9 beta perhaps you could check under IE8 Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button and Apply/OK and accept any UAC prompts you may get.

Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons as the Reset operation disables them.

Also make sure that you are totally up to date with all Windows updates, critical and non-critical.

If the problem continues I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat which is free, via Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 3. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.

I'm having the same white-box problem, but without the Vista and other changes the original poster mentioned.  I can't even access the McAfee help center properly with that computer.  I've tried the live chat, but they wanted me to contact them on the computer with the problem, and that's not working for me.  I'm even having trouble with some other websites, namely You TUbe.  Just black windows show where the video previews should be, not able to play the videos.

Message was edited by: lorijay on 23/10/10 2:15:42 CDT PM
              • 4. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.
                Ex_Brit

lorijay wrote:

I'm having the same white-box problem, but without the Vista and other changes the original poster mentioned.  I can't even access the McAfee help center properly with that computer.  I've tried the live chat, but they wanted me to contact them on the computer with the problem, and that's not working for me.  I'm even having trouble with some other websites, namely You TUbe.  Just black windows show where the video previews should be, not able to play the videos.

Message was edited by: lorijay on 23/10/10 2:15:42 CDT PM

Your sounds more to me like an infection of some sort assuming your Windows is up to date and so are your browser(s) and add-ons.

Try the steps outlined here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

• 5. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.

Thanks for your advice.  I tried doing the scan in safe mode, and no progress meter or reports show up, so I am at a loss.

Message was edited by: lorijay on 23/10/10 5:54:57 CDT PM
                  • 6. Re: McAfee Control Center is just a white box.
                    Ex_Brit

SecurityCenter doesn't show in Safe Mode but if you hover over the taskbar icon it will give a progress report.

Try running the free version of this tool and update before running:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php