1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2010 7:11 AM by Peter M

possible adware?

The other day I recieved an email from someone who I thought would be safe. Well, i don't think it was since the only thing in the email was a website that I did not click on. Also in my junk mail was an email for penis enlargement, lovely since I have never gotten that type of email before.  Yesterday I started noticing that google was very slow and if i would click on a link from google it would send me to a different page. I then clicked out of IE8 and went back in, tried google, clicked on links and haven't had any problems since. BUT now if i go into google and it shows me my results i will click on the green arrow to see if a site is safe and the siteadvisor pops up but then i sometimes get redirected to either gameweasel.com or mevio.com. I have no idea what is going on. I run McaFee regularly and it has always said that I have 0 issues on my and my computer is secure. I honestly find that hard to believe.  I'm not sure what edition of McAfee I have but I got it in June if that helps? I have a Toshiba Satellite that I got in April. Can anyone tell me whats going on and what to do to stop this?

• 1. Re: possible adware?
          Peter M

It's possible some kind of infection has taken over so follow the instructions in this "Required Reading" first.

If that doesn't help try installing the FREE version of THIS tool, update it and run a full scan and let it remove anything it finds and reboot immediately if it asks you to.

Should your browser not let you go to that page try doing all that in "Safe Mode with Networking" reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and choosing that option from the ensuing menu (it works fine in  that mode).

Should this infection not let anything be downloaded or installed try first "Save As" the installer to your desktop and renaming it in the process to soemthing random such as abcde.exe or 12345.exe for instance.

Lastly it's very important that you keep your operating system, whatever it is, totally up to date, along with all it's associated asoftware and applications.