2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 5:36 PM by Aldrin

Using Windows 7 VPN Connections with McAfee

So, My partner and I are trying to set up a VPN connection for our home network; so we could login and have access to all our data, and devices at home from anywhere online. I know windows 7 has built in both the capability of hosting a VPN and being a client to the same, so I am using that.

I set up the server using

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > File > New Incomming Connection

I simply personalized the default settings, nothing technically different.

I forwarded port 1723 from my router to the server pc with it's fixed network ip address.

Then I set up the client using

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Set Up a New Connection or Network

Connect to Workplace

Using my Internet Connection (VPN)

For my IP address I entered my Dyndns service address that I used to use to connect remotely to my printer (should be deprecated by now)

Input my Computer Login credentials.

When I attempt to connect, it seems to get to the computer fine, except that the process stalls on username and password verification.

the error it reports is:

The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly.

It is not using IPsec to my knowledge. It's using whatever windows 7 does. I presume a client and server both running windows 7 and using default settings for their vpn connection should have not trouble communicating to each other, thus something else is interrupting. I presume that McAffee is the culprit.

Has anyone having experience with windows 7 vpn connections through McAfee got any tips for me to complete this setup?

• 1. Re: Using Windows 7 VPN Connections with McAfee

After looking around I saw someone saying you should make sure that it's using PPTP, so I went to each connection and sure enough, in the client's connection properties, under the security tab, it was set to automatically find out the VPN protocol, so I set it to PPTP to be safe. This did not help.

I retried, but with no success. I don't know what the problem is. Everything should be fine, I'm using very default settings, there is no reason left for the client and server to not know how to continue from user name and password verification. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know what else I didn't check?

• 2. Re: Using Windows 7 VPN Connections with McAfee

Could you please let us know the version details of the McAfee programs that you have in your computer?