7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 9:02 AM by Tracy Romine

McAfee infected, what now?

Hi,

I recently visited dilandau.com to listen to a song not posted on youtube, and which is listed as safe according to McAfee http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/dilandau.com . However, as soon as I loaded the website, McAfee popped up with "the computer is at risk" and real-time scanning would not start. Then McAfee wouldn't load claiming that mcafee.exe was infected and the task manager would also not load for the same reason.

I have managed to boot in safe mood and have started a scan, but given that McAfee is infected, will I be able to find the virus and destroy it? Why will the real-time scanning still not start? In safe mode, it turns on but then immediately turns back off. A problem I have seen in many other forums.

How can I properly scan my computer and why is this site listed as safe? (when it is clearly not) I'm hoping posting here will provide me with some live help. (I am using a mac to do the posting as it is uninfected)

Thanks,

Keely

• 1. Re: McAfee infected, what now?

To clarify: how do i fix McAfee when McAfee is the thing infected on the computer? And how do I un-infect task manager?

• 2. Re: McAfee infected, what now?

well you sure its not a fake antivirus? try download it will get rid of anything it finds  http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and run a scan it a awesome free program

make sure you update malwarebytes under the update tab

if that doesnt work you can try nod 32 online scanner

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Message was edited by: slare on 10/17/10 3:17:21 AM CDT
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: McAfee infected, what now?

if you cant try copy malwarebytes to a usb and then load it onto the computer

Message was edited by: slare on 10/17/10 3:21:21 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: McAfee infected, what now?
                Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.

Thanks Slare, good advice.  I would add that you should opt for the free version of that software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/10/10 8:36:30 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: McAfee infected, what now?

I think it was a fake Antivirus - having looked around at other forums I was unable to download malwarebytes, but I did delete my Temp folder and associated executables and checked my host files to make sure they were standard. I ran another scan with McAfee and it seems to be clear now. Real-time scanning is back on and it seems to be virus-free.

If you've seen this virus before, maybe you can tell me if there's something I missed have missed cleaning up?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: McAfee infected, what now?
                    Peter M

I'm no expert on that question, maybe Slare is.   You can usually get around an infection preventing the download/installation of antimalware products by using the "Save as" right-click option and renaming the executable in the process to something innocuous such as 12345.exe or similar.   Or, especially in the case of Malwarebytes, the download, installation, update and even running the software can all usually be achieved in "Safe Mode with Networking" reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

That mode provides limited operations & allows web access and some software such as MBAM to run but usually prevents malware from running.

• 7. Re: McAfee infected, what now?
                      Tracy Romine

This was certainly malware-related.  Keely, an alternative and free 3rd party malware removal tool is Superantispyware.  http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Like Malware Bytes, this one is very effective at rooting out bugs.  I would strongly suggest you run that app, if you can, regardless of whether or not you are seeing malware symptoms of any kind.