hello there i have the same problem i am using ie8 , i tried to use some of the solutions discribed in other topics but the problem remains.
if anyone has a step by step solution please help.
thank you in advance.
Hi there Maximus. The problem was solved, thanks to the persistence and good work of a McAfee internet assistant. The person who helped me was really courageous, if you take into account that my Windows are in Greek
Anyway, to be frank, I didn't understand exactly what the problem was. The assistant took control of my keyboard and screen, and tried several approaches. The one that worked, was to create another windows account (with administrative rights) and run DMSetup.exe from this account. At least that's what I saw, maybe the solution was much more sophisticated than that.
well it seems that we have 2 things in common because also my computer is in greek and i hope the mcafee tecnician will solve also my problem and post a solution for other users.
well the problem remains the assistant tried to do the same thing with you elhior but the system is greek and he couldnt help me i have to call greek support if there is such a thing and to tell the truth i wasnt expecting so many problems with an antivirus program. if someone else has a solution i will be glad to read about it. thanks
Try opening IE8 and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and then OK
Close and reopen IE8 and then go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons.
Try it again.
Online Technical Support Chat for Greece is I believe in the UK here: http://service.mcafee.com/faq/country.html
Resetting the IE settings was the first thing that the assistant tried, but it didn't work.
Maximus, it depends on the assistant really. A few weeks ago I had a different problem with McAfee. When he saw that my Windows were in Greek, the assistant told me to contact the Greek support, and he insisted although I assured him that there is no such thing (I've looked for it many times before contacting McAfee by mail). The assistant a few days ago earned my respect. He tried hard, he insisted to find the correct greek options, and - of course - I helped him when he was confused. In the end, he did it.
Maybe you could try creating an account with administrative rights and run the installation program from there, Maximus?
Hello Ex brit , Elhior
Thanks for your anwers the problem is solved. the solution is the same as Elhiors. I do not know if it works with other users but i will posted here just for reference.
i had to remove the old mcafee program with mcafee tools then create a new user acount with administrative rights download the program and intsall it. so easy and so complicate it.
Again thanks for your assistance both of you and all the people at the mcafee community and the technical support for the solutions posted and the time you spend to fix this problems and helping other users.
Glad it's fixed. Whenever you are installing software you should always be using an Administrative-level account, otherwise either it wont install or parts of it at least wont install.
I'm sorry that I never suggested using the MCPR removal tool first - I had assumed you tried that already.
Good luck ;-)