2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 5:19 AM by pedro.tavares

Allow internet access without authentication while logging usernames

pedro.tavares

Hi.

I'm trying to do the following:

Permit unauthenticated access to the internet but register usernames in access.log.

The reason  is because there is a lot's of issues with computers that are not in domain and we must maintain the whitelist.

Regards,

Pedro

• 1. Re: Allow internet access without authentication while logging usernames
          Jon Scholten

Hello Pedro,

Based on your description, how are you proposing the usernames be populated in the logs without authenticating the users?

Are you asking that the username be populated with the users information that they provided? Even if they didnt sucessfully authenticate?

I havent had the oppourtunity to try out some of the Authenticate properties on 7.x, but there is a property for 'Authenticate.RawUsername'. This may allow you to log a username, and if you are using the default configuration on 7.x with 'Authenticate and Authorize' you would just disable the 'Authorize' ruleset which would only permit certain groups to continue on.

You did not state a version, I'm assuming 7.x.

~Jon

• 2. Re: Allow internet access without authentication while logging usernames
            pedro.tavares

Hello Jon,

The version is 7.x (forgot to mention it).

Well, what I wish to do is authenticate users (NTLM) and permit internet access regarless authentication is sucessfully or not. Regarding logs, I wish to have user (NTLM) information (when applied) or IP/hostname.

I've managed to create an authentication exception for all user-agents that are not Mozilla and MSIE.