1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 7:52 AM by peter_eepc

Removing EEPC 5.2.4

crackerjak

I am trying to remove EEPC 5.2.4 from a workstation using Safetech disk 5.2.4. The hard drive has been decrypted but when the OS has booted up "sbsetup -uninstall" fails.

"Endpoint Encryption boot protection is still enabled on this machine. The client can not be uninstalled while boot protection is still enabled."

The client manager encryption box is empty. It should show the drive letter and encryption level.

The log shows error [e0020017] error communicating with the Endpoint Encryption disk driver.

I boot up with the Safetech disk 5.2.4 floppy disk. While trying to authenticate from the SBFS I receive the error message. "Authenticating the user failed with the error: 0E0050001". If I authenticate from database, I am able to select machine's sdb file and authenticate successfully. I attempt to remove eepc from the workstation. The screen reads:

Removal process started

Opening Disk Manager

Starting decryption

Exception E0050001 occured whhile trying to decrypt the disk..

0%

So how do I remove / uninstall eepc 5.2.4?

Message was edited by: crackerjak: grammar/spelling on 10/12/10 3:46:07 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

install the product again to make sure the driver is properly activated. It won't let you uninstall a broken installation as it can't be sure the pre-boot is removed.

• 2. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

But is EEPC pre-boot removed completely? Do you boot to Windows ok? Any SBFS remnant files left on this hard drive?

• 3. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

boot wintech cd and open a43 file manager..

check your disk.. I think potentially the disk is not encrypted..

if you can read the disk it's not encrypted..

so..open sb wintech and authenticate local or using database sdb file..

then remove eepc if failed restore the mbr this should fix the boot protection issue.

after you sucessfullt remove the boot protection go to you safeboot/eepc installation normally in

c:\program files\mcafee\endpoint encryption for pc

and run this command "sbsetup.exe -uninstall"

Message was edited by: obelicks on 10/13/10 9:51:31 AM MYT
              • 4. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

I guess you did not read OP's the first sentence:

I am trying to remove EEPC 5.2.4 from a workstation using Safetech disk 5.2.4. The hard drive has been decrypted but when the OS has booted up "sbsetup -uninstall" fails.
                • 5. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

owh ok..

is disk been decryypt from safetch using crypt function?

if using "remove eepc" the boot should already dissabled.. isn't?

if not for whatever reason then need to restore mbr right?

• 6. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

I'm assuming it boots to Windows OK. It is just annoying not to be able to remove client.

Seems to be possible by reinstalling and then removing client, but why to go through that again?

Maybe there is easier way.

• 7. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4

wonder why

""Endpoint Encryption boot protection is still enabled on this machine.

The client can not be uninstalled while boot protection is still  enabled.""

message apear?

the boot protection should already dissable after we remove eepc or decrypt?

or just rempve the installation folder? registry if there is..

• 8. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4
                        kthomas

First let me thank you for posting such detail on the problem you faced. I myself have supported many McAfee products over the years and have faced similar but rare problems where the uninstaller fails and you are left with only two options. Manual removal which with Endpoint Encryption we do not do, so the option to install and reinstall is by far the more reliable approach.

The errors and solution provided in this thread was not documented in our McAfee KnowledgeBase, Well from today this is, and I thank all those that contribute to these forums.  I will continue to monitor the discussions to ensure we document as many of these issues as possible.

The article (KB70161) takes about 24 - 48 hrs to be processed.

To access this article go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) and search for KnowledgeBase article KB70161.

All the best.

Kevin

Knowledge Analyst (Global Online Services)
                        KnowledgeBase: http://mysupport.mcafee.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Removing EEPC 5.2.4
                          To access this article go to the McAfee ServicePortal (http://mysupport.mcafee.com) and search for KnowledgeBase article KB70161.

No results found.

1 2 Previous Next