9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 2:49 PM by dnabryant

FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

I recently loaded a trial verison of Family Protection.  Under Family Protection "Administrator", under the Program Option screen, I chose to block "Peer to Peer  Filesharing" including "FastTrack Protocol".

When I view Useage Reports, under Programs Used, it shows a number of allowed programs, and 1 banned.  The banned program is "FastTrack File Sharing."

I did not install "FastTrack FIle Sharing" or any other P2P software on my computer.  My husband is the only other person who uses this computer and doesn't know anything about this.  When I go into Add/Remove programs, I don't see anything that says "FastTrack", Kazaa, etc.

Does anybody know anything about this FastTrack and how to get rid of it.  Are there any programs that detect and remove P2P software?  Is there a way to block it?  (Even though McAfee is set to block FastTrack, it does not.  I can tell when it (FastTrack) starts, because if I am loading a web page I get a message about my connection being reset - and then there it is in the useage history at with the time stamp...  It causes the computer to be very slow and blocks images sometimes.

I have no idea how FastTrack got on my computer and can't figure out  how to get rid of it.  Any help would be appreciated!

I'm attaching a screen shot from the useage report showing FastTrack listed as a banned program.

Thanks!!

Fresca

• 1. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi Fresca,

FastTrack is the peer-to-peer protocol, which is used by peer-to-peer file sharing application such as Kazaa,iMesh,Kazaa,Grokster Etc..Even some Filesharing websites are using FastTrack protocol. Could you please tell me, whether you have any application to download musics,videos,pictures. Have you downloaded any files from filesharing websites? Could please list out the Programs that is installed in your Computer (you can paste the Screenshot) , by checking through add or remove programs, so that we can try to find out the application that uses Fasttrack protocol.

Thanks & Regards,

Raja Gopalan.S

• 2. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi, Raja,

Today I did restored my computer back to its factory state.  Again I see FastTrack File Sharing protocol being active.  Here are screenshots showing installed programs.

Whatever it is, it seems stealthy...

Thanks for your help!

Fresca

• 3. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Sorry for the delay,

Login into the McAfee Family Protection as administrator, Select Program blocking;  Expand the List, Uncheck the Fasttrack Protocol and check whether the FastTrack Protocol Appears under the Usage List & Post your reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Raja Gopalan .S

• 4. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi, Raja,

I did as you asked.  I do not see FastTrack in the used programs (allowed or banned) now.

My computer is still performing very sluggishly on the internet - timing out, not displaying images at times...

I hope you can help!

Fresca

• 5. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi Fresca,

Make sure you have proper internet connection.

• Click on Start --> Run type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter.
                  • At command prompt , type "ping www.google.com" without quotes and hit enter.
                  • Check, whether you are getting valid reply. If there is "request timed out" try flushing the dns.
                  • At command prompt , type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes and hit enter.

You can also Try Reset your Internet Explorer settings to its defaults (Screen shots provided below), and Check whether its working.

• To Reset the Internet Explorer , Click on Start ---> Run Type "inetcpl.cpl" without quotes, and hit Enter. or open the Control Panel and look for internet options.
                  • Internet Explorer Properties windows will be opened.
                  • Click on Advanced tab , at the very bottom click on reset.
                  • On the Reset Window, Click on Reset button. (if you need to delete historys,cookies etc.. put check mark on "Delete Personal Settings")

c00866084.gifIE8_master_reset_2.JPG

Thanks & Regards,

Raja Gopalan . S

• 6. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi, Raja,

I did get a valid response when I pinged google.com:

Ping statistics

Packet:  Sent = 4, Receied = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times inmilli-seconds:

Minimum = 87ms, Maximum = 167ms, Average = 129ms

Also, I reset as you requested.

I had just restarted my computer and checked the useage report- FastTrack showed up again.

I am also seeing plugin-container.exe listed as a banned program sometimes (though it also shows up as an allowed program in the same report).

I use Mozilla Firefox 3.6.11 for a browser.  I tried disabling JAVA to see if that was causing the problem, there is a lot on the web that doesn't function with out JAVA - news video, hulu.com (television programs online) two examples coming to mind...

Thanks for your continued help!

Fresca

• 7. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi, Raja,

FastTrack has been used 1259 times today as of 9:59 pm.

It totally seized up my internet connection for a while.

I tried pinging google.com when that happend.  Here are the results:

Reply from 173.194.33.104 bytes sent = 32  time = 53ms  TTL=54

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.104

Packets: sent = 4, received =3, lost = 1 (25% loss),

Approximate round trip time in mill-seconds:

Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 54ms

Thanks for your help!

Fresca

• 8. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

Hi Fresca,

It seems that, there is some program still uses the fasttrack protocol in your computer and the issue seems to be complicated. So, what i suggest is, you can use free online Email & Chat support by Clicking on Useful Links at the top of the McAfee Community Page and select Technical Support,it could help you better to fix this problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Raja Gopalan . S

• 9. Re: FastTrack File Sharing detected by Family Protection...

In case anyone comes across this post, I was having a similar issue with a McAfee product detecting FastTrack, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out that a Google service was being flagged incorrectly as FasTrack.  Here's what I did:

- Click Start -> Run

- Type msconfig and press <enter>

- Click on the Startup tab at the top

- Click the Startup Item column to sort the list alphabetically

- Deselect the checkbox next to "Google Update Service"

- Click Apply

- Click OK

- Restart the computer

Hope this helps someone!