7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 3:31 AM by smalldog

Endpoint Encryption users questions

We are deploying Endpoint Encryption (version 1.01) and Endpoint encryption provider for PC (version 6.0.1.7) on laptops that will be taken off our network and i'm looking for documentation on how it works, specifically with users accounts.

I have 3 test laptops setup that are encrypted and have a group of users assigned, we will say $encrypted_users and all of the users are apart of this group. We are using AD for user management.

Some specific questions i have...

1) I just created a new user (test user) who should be able to login to the laptops, but i'm not able to with that account. I'm guessing that it hasnt synced yet, when does it sync? We have setup LDAP to sync every night at 1am. So should the new user be able to login after 1am?

2) I'm assuming that it needs to sync to the laptops as well before the user can login, when does this happen?

3) What will the new users password be? In the policy i defnied the password as lets just say test. Would it be test or the AD password?

4) Once the user logs into one computer for the first time and it syncs with the epo server does that sync with the other laptops? So if it synced i should be able to log into it without it being on the network?

I'm just trying to get most questions figured out so if and when the help desk receives a call they can fix it.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions

1) I just created a new user (test user) who should be able to login to the laptops, but i'm not able to with that account. I'm guessing that it hasnt synced yet, when does it sync? We have setup LDAP to sync every night at 1am. So should the new user be able to login after 1am?

the new user will be in EPO after the LDAP sync.

2) I'm assuming that it needs to sync to the laptops as well before the user can login, when does this happen?

It will take an EPO agent sync (an ASIC), that time is controlled by the policy you set in EPO.

3) What will the new users password be? In the policy i defnied the password as lets just say test. Would it be test or the AD password?

It will be the default password you set (or "12345")

4) Once the user logs into one computer for the first time and it syncs with the epo server does that sync with the other laptops? So if it synced i should be able to log into it without it being on the network?

Yes. the password will get propagated throughout the estate as all the machines sync with EPO.

• 2. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions

Thanks. How often do the computers sync with the EPO server? Is there a way to force it?

• 3. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions

you can set the ASIC rate from the EPO Agent policy, and you can force a sync from the same place - I suggest you read the EPO documentation? It explains all this?

Look up "Wake Up Agents" in the EPO Product Guide

• 4. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions
                smalldog

Hi Safeboot,

- I have one question about users: In Encryption Users i just must assign users in Group Users tab that can access any encrypted machine and also have to assign users manually in Systems tab by select check box for computers that i want to assign users separate computers and select Add Users?

Thanks for support

Regards,

Smalldog

Message was edited by: smalldog on 11/8/10 9:35:33 PM CST
                • 5. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions
                  smalldog

Anybody can explain this problem? Thanks!

• 6. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions

You don't have to do do both - you can do one or the other if you like. If you want a specific user to access a machine, assign them, if you want a whole group, assign them. It's up to you.

• 7. Re: Endpoint Encryption users questions
                      smalldog

Yes, i have just test one. Just assign administrator to Group Users and then log on with username windows current that work fine. Thanks for reply Safeboot!