2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 11:15 AM by kampfer

Artemis Keeps Coming Back...!

Three days ago, McAfee pop-ups started warning me that a program - shell.exe - wants Internet access.  I also noticed that when I tried to click on various links from Google searches, my browser was being redirected to sites other than those I was clicking on.  (This happened in both IE8 and Firefox.)  I blocked this program, but then I could not access anything via the Internet.  I ran a full system scan, and McAfee produced the following 2 report items:

Viruses, Trojans, and Cookies Quarantined  =  Artemis!8453D8F4B708

Potentially Unwanted Programs Quarantined  =  WINHOST

However, after rebooting (or not rebooting - it did not matter), this redirection was again occuring.  If I tried to manually delete shell.exe from its location - C:\documents and settings\[USER NAME]\application data\microsoft\windows\ - shell.exe kept being re-created there.  If I run another scan, McAfee again finds the same 2 items for quarantine as above, and this starts all over again.

I have the latest updates on my McAfee security program.

Can anyone please advise me as what is the best way to get rid of this virus from my PC permanently...?  Thanks very much!

• 1. Re: Artemis Keeps Coming Back...!
          vinoo

You might have an undetected malware which is dropping/downloading these files again.

If you suspect you're infected and have trouble finding what is causing the infection, I'd suggest giving this handy tool a try.

"McAfee  GetSusp is intended for users who suspect undetected malware on their  system. By using a combination of clever heuristics and querying  McAfee's online database of known clean files to gather suspicious  files, GetSusp eliminates the user's need for deep technical knowledge  of computer systems to isolate undetected malware. McAfee GetSusp is  recommended as a tool of first choice when analyzing a suspect machine."

Get it from here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/148081#148081

Once GetSusp identifies and collects the suspect files, post the logs here and we community members can help.

• 2. Re: Artemis Keeps Coming Back...!

I have the same exact problem! A program named MS Shell wants access to the internet, if I block access I will lose all access to the internet. If I grant access my google searches get redirected. I use both Mozilla and Chrome. I will try this recommended solution and let you know if it works for me. In the mean time, any info if this worked for anyone?