2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 6:00 PM by dijester111

Virtual Technician is Stuck

I'm having a conflict between Windows 7 search and McAfee security center, so I need to temporarily disable the service center, but to do that I need to take my computer offline so it won't get infected, but to do that I need help on how to reinstall the program without internet access, but to get help through this website I need to let the Virtual Technician run first before I can even chat with a real technician, but the virtual technician has been running all day long and still nothing is happening.  So frustrating!

How do I get past the virtual technician which is stuck so I can chat with a real technician so I can fix my other problem?

• 1. Re: Virtual Technician is Stuck
          Dinz

dijester111 wrote:

I'm having a conflict between Windows 7 search and McAfee security center, so I need to temporarily disable the service center, but to do that I need to take my computer offline so it won't get infected, but to do that I need help on how to reinstall the program without internet access, but to get help through this website I need to let the Virtual Technician run first before I can even chat with a real technician, but the virtual technician has been running all day long and still nothing is happening.  So frustrating!

How do I get past the virtual technician which is stuck so I can chat with a real technician so I can fix my other problem?

Hi dijester111,

Could you please clarify the highlighted quotes;
          Conflict between Windows 7 search and McAfee security center ? - are you referring to the Auto indexing search fuinction in windows 7 ?

Reinstall the program without internet access - Its not possible to install a program over the web without internet access

Also, let us know what is the version of you Internet explorer (Open IE - click help - click about internet explorer)

Please get back with the above details and we shall proceed from there .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Virtual Technician is Stuck

Yes, I believe the problem does relate to indexing and searching in windows 7 (but not exclusively to searching indexed files - windows search can't even find files by filename which are not indexed.  There's a description of the problem here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/61b88d5e-7df7-44 27-8a2e-82b801a4a746?prof=required (scroll down to "Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search ")

and one of your support reps refers to it here:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/154049#154049

I don't use IE but it is on my system and the version is 8.0.7600.16385.

I was asking about reinstalling the program while offline because one workaround solution suggested deleting and rebuilding the index while McAfee is off, therefore you'd want to be offline.  I suppose I could redownload the program first, disconnect from the internet, and then reinstall after rebuilding the index.  Of course, this is all not a great solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.