5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 2:16 PM by Abhilash

At start up, Mcafee displays that you are not protected

mtlrx

I never experienced this before but Mcafee symbol at start up would appear on the lower right corner then a red x would appear over the Mcafee symbol and the message your computer is not protected would pop up on the lower right corner of the screen.  Then 3 min later the red x would go away and Mcafee would operate normally.  My computer is frozen during this time and can't do anything.  Even when you click to open Mcafee from the pop up message that the computer is not protected, it takes 2-3 min for the Mcafee software to operate.  Is this normal? I've updated the software.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: At start up, Mcafee displays that you are not protected

I thought maybe my in-laws were having the same problem as this person.  Sorry for inappropriately bringing up an old issue.

They use their Verizon Administrator Account as the login, and aren't running Parental Controls (no kids/guest users, no need, right??)

So, can we TURN-OFF the McAfee Security because Verizon should be providing the security, right??

Message was edited by: jemolney on 10/9/10 11:10:12 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: At start up, Mcafee displays that you are not protected
            Peter M

To the first poster I suggest the following as your McAfee installation is possibly corrupted:

Uninstall via Control Panel/Add or Remove programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7)

Run the MCPR removal tool linked Useful Links above

Reboot and reinstall your software from your online account. 

To the second one it was my impression that Verizon Internet Security IS McAfee so why would you want to turn off anitvirus and firewall?

The security suite is more than just Parental Controls.

Any questions, as it's a weekend, are best directed to Technical Support live online chat, also linked via Useful Links above.

It's unlikely a McAfee person will show up here.

• 3. Re: Verizon Internet Security IS McAfee???

Verizon Internet Security IS McAfee so why would you want to turn off anitvirus and firewall?

Well, I thought the McAfee pop-up message was trying to force the user to ADD McAfee Security and it was interfering with the Verizon Security settings.

So, we still don't know why McAfee is creating a problem, and we still can't get passed it!! 

• 4. Re: Verizon Internet Security IS McAfee???
                Peter M

That depends on exactly what the pop-up is saying.  Can you clarify that?

It may be best for you/them to contact Technical Support Chat directly from the machine in question.

First though they could try what I suggested - the uninstall..etc. etc.

• 5. Re: At start up, Mcafee displays that you are not protected

Hi Mtlrx

Could you please open McAfee and let me know the error message in the right side of your McAfee?

Regards

Abhilash