8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 11:14 AM by hem

how to install access protection retrospectively

Hi all i have mcafee AV 8.5 and am using epolicy ochestrator, when we rolled out mcafee to the work stations for some reason it seems that the access protection was not included, does anyone know if i can 'add' it to the clients on the network (mostly xp) without having to visit each machine and do a fresh install with the access protection enabled this time around?

as always thanks in advance.
      Uraken

• 1. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

uraken,

I suggest you to please relook into the main policy for the network.

You should have the Access Protection enabled by default and also, You should enable the " Prevent McAfee services from being stopped".

Then, You should apply this policy as the default policy and schedule an update pull and then check if its enabled the Access Protection on all the machines. You can do all this using the E Policy orchestrator.

Thank you

Sameer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

Firstly many thanks for your swift response sameer. can i just confirm a few things with you?

1. Access protection may well be installed but just not visible on my clients virus scan console?

2. I can enable access protection in epolicy ochestrator and this in turn will allow me to 'push' this so it is visible and any polices applied to the clients?

3. can you guide me to the exact place that i can 'push' this policy?

P.s i am already grateful for your time so if you can't answer these no problem

thanks again

uraken

• 3. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

Uraken,

Access Protection is more of a protection feature and not a product component. It is either enabled or disabled. You might want to query the results and check if all teh computers have the latest DATS and are having the On Access Scanner running.

Also, YOU might want to apply this as a default policy and just let the update happen through ePO.

You dont really have to push the same as it is not a new component that we are trying to add/install here.

Thank you

Sameer

• 4. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

ah and yet it appears on my workstation and not on others this is why i thought it was a component i guess, so how to make it appear on all machines (so i am confident it is applied and working), my main aim here is to block exe's being run from usb pen drives so may be a b: or g: (i will decide how to ensure any usb pen drives get allocated the same drive letter later i hope:).

i have included a pdf document that might help'paint' the picture.

• 5. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

Sameer the included picture was taken when i attemppted to reinstall mcafee i was given the option to modify abd sure enough it looks like someone did not install the access protection feature so i am back to my original question i think?

image001.jpg

• 6. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

Uraken,

Thank you for the detailed information.

Yes, I must admit, I completely forgot about the cutomisation that McAfee offers while doing the install. Yes, The Access protection should have been enabled there. It is very critical and I suggest you to please get that corrected/enabled ASAP>

Once that is done, You should see it reflecting under your Virus Scan consoles on the client machines.

Samer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively

Thanks sameer does anyone know how to do this over the network quietly?

• 8. Re: how to install access protection retrospectively
                        hem

From the screenshot, I beleive that you have customized the VSE package (took out the Access protection compoenent). Thats the reason you don't see on the client machine.

I don't think, we have any way to add it seperately. I will suggest you to reinstall the VSE (have Access protection included) on the client machines from ePO that will take care.

Thanks

Hem