4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 7:56 AM by Slingo

ePO 4.5 Product Patch Piloting

I've got a fairly large ePO 4.5p1 environment that I'm trying to update from VSE 8.7 p3 to p4. I'm trying to follow a fairly rigorous pilot process so that I can test to make sure the new patch doesn't cause any issues. I have all of my pilot machines tagged in ePO in order to make it easy to identify and report on the progress of the pilot.

After reading the agent 4.5p1 release notes, I was under the impression that I would be able to use client tasks to deploy product patches from the evaluation branch. However, after looking into the issue, it doesn't appear that is the case.

I've been fiddling with it this morning and the only way I can see to deploy a patch from the evaluation branch is to assign a different agent policy to the machine, then use the standard patch updater task. Of course, in order to assign the policy to my tagged pilot machines, I have to create a server task to assign agent policy based on a query for the pilot tags. At least, that seems to be the easiest way to assign policy based on tags.

Full product deployments don't seem to be this complicated. You simply set the task, select the branch you want to use, and then apply it via tags to whatever machines you want. It just seems counter-intuitive to do it that way, which is what makes me think that I'm missing something simple. Jumping through these hoops just seems more complicated than needed in order to test patches for products like HIPS and VSE.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it really this complicated?

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5 Product Patch Piloting
          JoeBidgood

At the moment, that's the way it works, I'm afraid. Update tasks take their branches from the agent policy. Unfortunately it looks like this is the same in ePO 4.6...

Sorry -

Joe

• 2. Re: ePO 4.5 Product Patch Piloting

I guess the good news is that I wasn't missing something. Even if the bad news is that this was actually the design.

I think I'll submit a FMR around it. Even if it's by design and looks like it's the same way in 4.6, I think it can be done easier and more obviously. Just take the product update client task, and add an extra column to it to allow you to choose the desired branch. Who knows? Maybe someone else will agree with me

Thanks Joe!

• 3. Re: ePO 4.5 Product Patch Piloting
              SCtbe

Maybe better would be wait for VSE 8.7 P4 repost and then install whole product form evaluation branch...

• 4. Re: ePO 4.5 Product Patch Piloting

As far as I can tell, a client task to do a full install will not actually update machines that already have the product installed.

If I have a machine that is VSE 8.7p2 and I set up a product deployment task with VSE 8.7p3 this is what happens:

Info
                Scheduler
                Scheduler: Invoking task [VSE 8.7i  Product Deployment Task]...
                Info
                Updater
                Checking update packages from repository  ePOSA_PACHQCIS01.
                Info
                Updater
                Initializing update...
                Info
                Updater
                Verifying catalog.z.
                Info
                Updater
                Extracting catalog.z.
                Info
                Updater
                Loading update configuration from:  catalog.xml
                Info
                Updater
                Verifying VSE870Det.McS.
                Info
                Updater
                Verifying VSE870Det.McS.
                Info
                Updater
                Update Finished
                Info
                Scheduler
                The task VSE 8.7i Product Deployment  Task is successful
                Info
                Scheduler
                Scheduler: Task [VSE 8.7i Product  Deployment Task] is finished

It just checks to see if VSE 8.7 is installed, then ends the task. It doesn't verify the patch level of the product. You have to have a seperate task to perform patch updates. In my perfect world, that task would allow you to select branches, but currently, you need to use the patch updater task in conjunction with an agent policy modification to do that.