5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 6:47 AM by JoeBidgood

Increasing the replication timeout?

I have a Distributed Repository located at the end of a very long, slow wet bit of string. The default timeout value of 2 hours is not long enough to allow the repository to fully replicate. I want to increase this value to 3 hours, and I guess this will need to be done by a registry change.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the registry string that I need to add or change?

I am running ePO 4.5 Patch 1

Regards

• 1. Re: Increasing the replication timeout?
          JoeBidgood

There's a couple of tweaks that can be applied to replications with regards to timeouts - I'm in the process of figuring them out as some of the documentation is conflicting   What type of distributed repository is it? i.e. FTP, HTTP?

One other important point to consider though is - do you need a distributed repository out there? How many client machines are on that site?

Thanks -

Joe

• 2. Re: Increasing the replication timeout?

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.

Its a UNC share. There is also an Agent Handler as well, installed on the same server as the Repository.

There are only 3 servers at that location at the moment (but there will probably be more, plus client machines), but the problem is, (without a repository)  they all pull updates directly over this low bandwidth link from the ePo server.

So I installed the Agent Handler and Repository so that comms and updates are handled by 1 server only.

Regards

• 3. Re: Increasing the replication timeout?
              JoeBidgood

Blackspot wrote:

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.

Its a UNC share. There is also an Agent Handler as well, installed on the same server as the Repository.

There are only 3 servers at that location at the moment (but there will probably be more, plus client machines), but the problem is, (without a repository)  they all pull updates directly over this low bandwidth link from the ePo server.

So I installed the Agent Handler and Repository so that comms and updates are handled by 1 server only.

Regards

Okay. A couple of possibilities here.

Firstly I strongly recommend against having an agent handler at the end of a slow and / or high-latency connection: it'll hammer it into the ground, and will adversely affect ePO as a whole. Agent handlers need a permanent, high-speed, low-latency connection to the SQL server.

Secondly - with so few machines at the end of the link you really, really should be allowing them to update from the main site. You need a minimum number of machines on a site before a distributed repository becomes viable in terms of bandwidth - and it's quite a high number  

Assuming the machines are up to date then on a really bad day (when the incremental update is let's say 400kb - they're usually around 100) they will pull 3 x 400kb = 1.2MB across the WAN. If you put a DR out there you will be copying around 90MB, almost all of it unnecessary.

A lot of this will change with MA 4.6, which went beta today, I believe: this has the ability to cache files from the master like an agent handler does but without the need for the high-speed link to the SQL server. But for now I would very strongly recommend losing both the agent handler and the DR - unless there are mitigating circumstances they're not helping you at all

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Increasing the replication timeout?

Hi Joe,

Yes, I think you are right. I'll remove the Repo and the Agent Handler and repoint the 3 servers back to the ePO server.

Thanks for you help with this.

Regards Andy

• 5. Re: Increasing the replication timeout?
                  JoeBidgood

No problems

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful