1 2 3 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 3:33 PM by dlr100

TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

I have just installed TPS (saas) on a Windows 7 PC for the first time. The firewall (Engine ver 14.3.0.429) is blocking an outgoing VPN connections I have for Support at various sites. I am using the Windows connection for the VPN. I have my policy set to User configures firewall and network type set to trusted, when I try to connect it gives me no messages, it just blocks the connection. This worked on the old TPS on Windows 7 with no issues

I can't see how to add this to the application list, the only way I can get connected is to stop the firewall or set the firewall to "all computers" in the custom section.

I have tried running the Virtual Technician which strangely found some registry errors and files missing, I un-installed & re-installed but still get the same problem.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution?

• 1. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7
          rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please find the solution, for your issue, below.

Since you have a User Configured firewall, please perform the below steps in the McAfee software installed on the computers.

1. Please give a right click on the M icon and select open console.

2. Click on action menu on the top right corner and select connection type

3. Now, click on edit and then check the ports 80, 443 and ports for windows file sharing, print sharing and remote desktop connection.

4. Click on add, and enter the port numbers used by the VPN application

5. Click on Internet application list and check if the VPN application is blocked if yes, please allow it.

6. Save the changes and then run a manual update from the M icon.

Please revert back if the above steps does not work.

Regards.

• 2. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

Hi

Many thanks for the reply, I tried what you suggested but it still does not work.

I am using the Windows 7 VPN connection which I understood to us port 1723, I have checked this by opening up the firewall to allow connection to any computer then connecting to one of the VPN's then running from a command prompt;

netstat -an | find /1 "established"

This shows the port being used for the connection is 1723.

I have all of the other ports you said open.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

• 3. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7
              rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your reply.

Please let me know if you tried to add the specific port 1723 to the list of firewall ports and then try to open that port.

Please open the firewall configuration, set connection type and then where you see a list of ports, you shall have an option to "Add". Please click on that and then you will be given an option to add a port with the service name.

Please add the port number 1723 and then click on save. Now, this port will be listed with other firewall ports. Now, you can select that port. Save the changes, run a manual update and then try to run the VPN client.

Regards

• 4. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

Hi,

I have the same problem as the original poster. We are using SAAS version 5.2.0 and the firewall ( 14.3.0.429  ) appears to be blocking outgoing VPN's from WIN7 and Win XP machines. We are not using a third party VPN client, just the standard VPN from within windows.

As suggested I have added port 1723 to the opened ports list and also the others you have mentioned but to no avail.

The only way I can get it working is to go to " Connection Type " and allow any computer to communicate with the PC's affected!!!

Please help, we have remote sales people who need to connect .

Many Thanks.

• 5. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7
                  rengaraj

Hi Arfurmix,

Please let us know if you have added the IP address of all the computers or the IP address of your network range in the Incoming firewall address list.

Please follow the below steps to do so.

Open the McAfee security center using the page www.mcafeeasap.com

Click on policies on the top and then click on add policy and then select firewall settings on the left pane

Select administrator configures firewall

Now you shall get a menu with different options

Please select the reports option under the firewall protection status

Now, below you can select the custom settings and click on edit

You shall get three options to allow printer, file sharing and remote access, and please select all the 3 and Click on ok

Under the Incoming firewall address enter the IP address of your other computers or you can also enter the IP range of your network

Then try to check if this resolves the issue.

Regards.

• 6. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

Hello

Again thanks for the reply, yes I have added Port 1723 and done the update but it still does not let me through. I can only get a connection if I allow connection to all computers or I specify an IP address in the custom firewall connection type.

Thanks

• 7. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can get it to work if I set up a custom rule with our VPN server IP address added as an exception.

This is workable but it would be beneficial to be able to use a name instead of an IP Address. ( Ip addresses sometimes change!! )

Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7
                        rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your post.

We are really sorry to inform that adding a name instead of an IP address is not possible.

You can only add a IP address on the incoming firewall address to allow it.

Regards.

• 9. Re: TPS (saas) Firewall blocking outgoing VPN Connection Windows 7

Hello

I am having the same problem with VPN connections.  I used to be able to connect before the latest upgrade (to Firewall version 14.3.0.429).  But now I can only get outgoing VPN connections to work if I either disable the firewall or allow incoming connections from any IP address.  I am using the standard VPN client that comes with Win XP.  I have tried the suggestions above (adding ports), without success.  My machine allows me to configure the firewall.  Has anyone found the proper solution to this?

1 2 3 Previous Next