8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 5:45 AM by Peter M

McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan

I have malware bytes installed and McAfee.

I have malware bytes because McCafee doesn't protect my pc from attacks very well, so malware picks up other attacks and then I update the firewall to ban ip lists.

After the last update MCaffee failes on the malwarebytes executable. Is there a way I can tell mcafee to ignore this file? I also tried Virtual technician and it fails. I can't do a virus scan for the last several days because of this. I'm also not willing to uninstall malware bytes, since Mcafee doesn't block some of the attacks.

Here are the logs:

Virus Scan:

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
      The process will be terminated. Thread id : 5172 (0x1434)
      Thread address : 0x000000007768FD9A
      Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.2.0.794 / 5400.1158
      Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
      by C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
      4(0)(0)
      4(0)(0)
      7200(0)(0)
      7595(0)(0)
      7005(0)(0)
      7004(0)(0)
      5006(0)(0)
      5004(0)(0)

Mcafee Virtual Technician

Faulting application name: MvtApp.exe, version: 5.5.2.0, time stamp: 0x4bf16c93
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
      Exception code: 0xc0000374
      Fault offset: 0x000cdc9b
      Faulting process id: 0x22c
      Faulting application start time: 0x01cb649e8c3432f8
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Supportability\MVT\MvtApp.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
      Report Id: 056ac36f-d092-11df-be9d-001fe1e2aba2

My laptop is

Dell XPS 1530 Core 2 Duo T9950

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Thanks,

Nick

• 1. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan
          Peter M

I suspect that you are using the paid version of MBAM.  The real-time protection will almost surely clash with that of VirusScan and could leave you open to infection.

No protection software on Earth is 100% guaranteed to stop everything out there.

Keep MBAM Free by all means and update it and run it from time to time, but not with any active protection turned on.

If you want background anti-spyware protection I suggest something like SpywareBlaster, as long as you update it frequently.

There is no way to tell McAfee to ignore a program unless it is identified as a PUP (possibly unwanted program).

It's a feature we have asked to have reintroduced.

I moved this to SecurityCenter 10 - 2010 by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/10/10 3:58:56 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan

Yeah, but the issue would be that the service is timing out on a scan of a file.

If it tried to quarantine the file then I could see that as a limitation and i'm ok with that. But to the point that it times out. That appears to be a bug with the actual scanning of large files, because it throws an unexpected error due to timeouts.

MBAM has been on my system for 6 months and the errors started just Monday after a new update. Nothing has change so it seems logically either the new update needs a patch or it has been skipping files for the last 6 months. I seriously doubt the last one is correct.

This happens on my mdf database files also.

I know corporate versions of Mcafee allow me to skip a large file. Does the home version have something similiar.

Nick

Message was edited by: nick5454 on 10/5/10 4:55:58 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan

That also brings out point 2 of my post. The Virtual Tech Help fails when running.

• 4. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan
                Peter M

There is a Skip button which should be active on the scan progress screen.  But it only skips whatever file it is stuck on, not an entire folder or directory.

• 5. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan
                  Peter M

Also...have you tried updating and running MBAM in 'Safe Mode with Networking'?   Reached by tapping F8 while booting up.  It will operate OK in that mode.

• 6. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan

Yeah I wish that was so on the skip. It just gives me an unexpected error and then quits and a few seconds later it disables real time logging sporadically.

• 7. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan

mbam runs fine and scans perfectly. I even disabled mbam and ran a scan in Mcafee and it still breaks.

• 8. Re: McAfee always bombs on Virus Scan
                        Peter M

I suggest you try opening a case with Technical Support Chat via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.