8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 4:10 PM by crackerjak

Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

Hello,

Previously we were using Safeboot 4.x and at startup, when there was the first Safeboot authentication popup right after the BIOS, it was possible to reboot the machine by pressing ctrl-alt-del

Nos we are updating to EEPC 5.2.5 and when the machine boots up and the first McAfee logon screen appears, it is no more possible to reboot the machine with ctr-alt-del. We have to power off, then power on again the machine.

Is that the correct bahavior ? Or did we mis something ?

Kind regards,

David

• 1. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

Yes, this is observed behavior. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

• 2. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

yup - eepc5 is like windows, we take over the reset line. eepc4 is like DOS.

• 3. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?
              yup - eepc5 is like windows, we take over the reset line. eepc4 is like DOS.

Not at all, Windows reacts to Ctrl-Alt-Del, EEPC 5.x pre-boot does not.

• 4. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

Did I miss the memo that it's comment-on-everything day?

EEPC5 catches ctrl-alt-del just fine, it's just we choose to ignore it. DOS,Windows 3.x etc (and EEPC4 by virtue of running on top of the BIOS) interpret it at the BIOS level and throw a NMI to the processor to cause a soft-reset. Modern systems, with all the built in caching in the drive etc are just not as "robust" as the old machines where things got written the instant you told the drive to do it, so, like Windows which does not let you reboot at will, we don't either.

http://mcaf.ee/b4ea6

It's just not good practice to soft-reset a modern environment, especially one with multitasking - you never know what else is going on which might not be happy with a sudden termination.

• 5. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

I choose to ignore your personal comment.

It's just not good practice to soft-reset a modern environment, especially one with multitasking - you never know what else is going on which might not be happy with a sudden termination.

And that is what you should say in the first place. It is a valid reason to me. I do not miss Ctrl-Alt-Del here. But some users are clearly puzzled, as OP. It would be better if EEPC pre-boot react to that key sequence and just says "Please Power Off/On to restart your computer".

• 6. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

I understand the logic you have presented but by analogy you are saying that hard power cycling the system is better than a soft reboot at the bios level?  Not too much can be happening caching wise before the OS has even launched.  Most new systems that I have been dealing with recently no longer have a "reset" button, only the "hold the power button for 7 seconds" thing.

Message was edited by: waltm134 on 10/5/10 5:55:08 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?

OS has been launched. EEPC uses RTOS-32 or similar. Who knows what it would retain on soft boot.

Every PC has power on button. How it works, depends nowadays on how it is programmed in BIOS and currently active OS.

• 8. Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del does not reboot ?
                        crackerjak

I certainly miss crtl-alt-del. It's as though a helpful standard feature was removed from the product after upgrading to EEPC. I honestly do not see how it would interact with multitasking since nothing will happen to the machine until you sign in and allow the machine to boot up. I would agree with Peter_eepc, it would be better if EEPC preboot would incorporate a key sequence or an option on the screen allowing the user to power off/on. Some information is better than no information.