3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 12:32 PM by peter_eepc

Virtualizing EEM

Will the Endpoint Encryption Manager (v8.2.5) run on a virtual server?  If so, can you use P2V or does anything else need to be done to get it to work?

• 1. Re: Virtualizing EEM

You mean EEM 5.2.5? Just manager or whole database?

Manager will work fine, database will work OK for smaller implementations or even medium size, if VM is powerful enough.

No need for P2V. Just install it from distribution media and restore database files, if that is a server move. I hope you got a plan for IP/Name support in configuration files (SDMCFG).

• 2. Re: Virtualizing EEM

Yes, I mean 5.2.5.  Not sure where the 8 came from.  I guess my brain is not in full swing today yet.

What would you qualify as a small or medium size implementation?  We have 6500 licensed machines.

As far as the configuration in the SDMCFG.ini file, if we can rename the virtual machine to be the same as the current server with the same IP address, I am assuming that there would not be a problem.  Is that a safe assumption?

• 3. Re: Virtualizing EEM

What would you qualify as a small or medium size implementation?  We have 6500 licensed machines.

I would label it as medium (1K, 15K being thresholds).

As far as the configuration in the SDMCFG.ini file, if we can rename the virtual machine to be the same as the current server with the same IP address, I am assuming that there would not be a problem.  Is that a safe assumption?

Same IP and same DNS name?. Sure, no problem.